View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #6
joestewart

Name: joestewart
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Here is my latest update. This rebuild is moving slowly - no hurry since I have a working transmission in my truck (which is my daily driver).

Anyway, I purchased the thinner "reaction plate" for the OD direct clutch pack. This thinner plate is the .085" step to .215".

Using this thinner plate, I was able to install nine frictions and eight steels. The measurement I am getting (using the 0.5" thick bar and measuring with a caliper to the clutch hub thrust bearing surface) is 1.849" - which is within the ranges given in the table on page 135 of the ASTG manual.

But there SHOULD be 10 frictions and nine steels in this overdrive.

If I add one more steel and one more friction (the one steel and friction have a combined thickness of .132"), this will put me OUT OF THE RANGES given in the ASTG manual.

Question to the 47RE rebuilders here: Have you EVER built a 47RE overdrive for a Cummins application in its stock configuration that contained only 9 frictions and 8 steels in the OD direct clutch pack?

It seems to me that as long as the clearance is acceptable, then it should work fine.

But what is troubling me is that 10 frictions and 9 steels SHOULD fit in there without any hitches. Any input greatly appreciated!