AAM 11.5 Yoke bolts and straps

Peterson

Hey guys i bought this yoke from randys ring and pinion and thought id buy the u-bolt kit for it too. Well i get it here and i cant use the u-bolt style bolts, i need the strap and bolt kit. I think this is a GM 1480 yoke. Its on my dodge 11.5 Anyone got a part number for the straps and bolts for this? Any help would be great!!!

0304122043a.jpg

Is there any other 1480 yokes for the 11.5? I think i had read some place that the yoke from a 14 bolt fits on it?

If you get me the thru hole, spl and major diameter and seal diameter i'll tell you what else can work on there...

should be pt # 3-70-38x

Spicer 1480 straps will not fit a GM 1480 yoke. Meritor makes them, its part # REBC148-2. The best bet it probably get them from a GM dealer, it would be for a 07.5 up for 01-06 ZF6 truck. If you can get some boob at a part store to come up with the right bolts and straps you will be a lucky man.

If you get me the thru hole, spl and major diameter and seal diameter i'll tell you what else can work on there...

It will appear the same as a Dana 80 yoke, major, minor seal surface spline count etc. BUT the AAM Yoke has a chamfer on the bottom and the Dana yoke does not, which will not allow it to seat properly. Been there tried, it dont work. Your stuck with buying that 11.5 yoke from an AAM distributor, the dealer, or Randy's( one of randy's master distributors can probably undercut the web prices)

I prefer the dodge style setup with the 4bolt pinion flange and flange yoke. I converted my chevy to this.

It will appear the same as a Dana 80 yoke, major, minor seal surface spline count etc. BUT the AAM Yoke has a chamfer on the bottom and the Dana yoke does not, which will not allow it to seat properly. Been there tried, it dont work. Your stuck with buying that 11.5 yoke from an AAM distributor, the dealer, or Randy's( one of randy's master distributors can probably undercut the web prices)

Machine it, many yokes have the spline MD right and need to be modified as per the thru hole or GH or whatever else, i do it all the time.

Machine it, many yokes have the spline MD right and need to be modified as per the thru hole or GH or whatever else, i do it all the time.

Your starting to sound like my old man. Just because you have a machine shop doesn't mean you should machine EVERYTHING. Its just as cheap and much easier to get the customer the right yoke in this case. Like i said, been there done that, its just more efficient to use the AAM yoke.

Well first thing i don't know how a dana 80 yoke would work because the aam is a 30 splin pinion, and the dana 80 is a 37 spline pinion. I found a company that makes a 1480 yoke for a 14 bolt chevy axle that fits right on the aam 11.5.

Well first thing i don't know how a dana 80 yoke would work because the aam is a 30 splin pinion, and the dana 80 is a 37 spline pinion. I found a company that makes a 1480 yoke for a 14 bolt chevy axle that fits right on the aam 11.5.

If you are having a new shaft made, using dodge style parts is probably cheaper and as others said, it eliminates the balancer which makes it easier to install u-joint shields for a comp application.
If you don't want to change shaft length or simply need a replacement part then that custom made part might be the way to go.

The 14 bolt chevy is an AAM diff, and comes in 2 sizes, 10.5 ring gear and 11.5 ring gear. You are right right about the the spline difference, i said dana 80 off the top of my head but thats wrong :doh:. There is a Dana yoke that is real close to fitting the 11.5" 14 bolt, it probably fits a t-case or transmission.

What company makes this 1480 yoke you speak of? Randy's is just reboxing OEM yokes for that particular application, and if randy's is reboxing it, it probably cant be reproduced cheaper than the manufacturer is selling it.

Your starting to sound like my old man. Just because you have a machine shop doesn't mean you should machine EVERYTHING. Its just as cheap and much easier to get the customer the right yoke in this case. Like i said, been there done that, its just more efficient to use the AAM yoke.

When the right yoke doesn't exist and they need to have the better yoke, and you are a machinist and you make it there is no efficiency issue.

There is no lack of efficiency to what i said to do, in fact in this case when 1 yoke is 15 lbs and the other is 3 lbs, who's is more efficient ?

The person who knows what machining alterations needing to be done to make it right is invaluable, and going to make it right.

A end yoke is made with a MD, TH, GH and spline count and type... If the spline type and count match, the other specs can be modified to work, i have done this for cars, trucks, race cars, boats hundreds and hundreds of times, simply because the end yoke they have or had or need doesn't exist.

No lack of efficiency, how do you get the right yoke when only 1 or 2 exist, the gm version or the dodge version. AAM is not like spicer and is not making 10 versions of a ___ spline and 10 versions of that spline angle.

So now the part you need is modified.

There is a aftermarket company making them also, which is also probably lighter but the price is big. .

What company makes this 1480 yoke you speak of? Randy's is just reboxing OEM yokes for that particular application, and if randy's is reboxing it, it probably cant be reproduced cheaper than the manufacturer is selling it.

Oh yes they can, they take it send it to there people in china and now you have a cheaper copy of the OEM part.

They do it with lots of stuff. . .

Back