Building A-W intercooler

ryanss22

So I bought a pt3000 intercooler for $100 from a guy with a hole in core. I Cut it open to be tested and find said leak, well the entire core is shot (looks like a fine sprinkler) so I'm going to have to replace the entire core.

The stock core is 4.5" wide, will that be enough? (3.0sb truck) Or should I go to a 6" wide core or even go to 2- 4.5" cores? I'm an aluminum welder by trade and will be doing the fab work my self. Just looking for best cooling options sence I have to replace it all anyways.
Thanks for any help

So I bought a pt3000 intercooler for $100 from a guy with a hole in core. I Cut it open to be tested and find said leak, well the entire core is shot (looks like a fine sprinkler) so I'm going to have to replace the entire core.

The stock core is 4.5" wide, will that be enough? (3.0sb truck) Or should I go to a 6" wide core or even go to 2- 4.5" cores? I'm an aluminum welder by trade and will be doing the fab work my self. Just looking for best cooling options sence I have to replace it all anyways.
Thanks for any help

I used to run two 4.5" wide in series and then switched to two 9" in series and didn't notice much of an improvement in temp. I run a 9" on a 3000+ hp SS and see about the same reduction in temp. I think you're safe with a 9"x9" core.

Takedown- what size water fittings are you running? And how many? I'm thinking at this point itd be easier to just get aluminum and make one my self..

So which would be better? A solid 9" core with 2 water inlets or 2-4.5" with one inlet each? I'm just wondering if the dual inlet with the 9 would cause turbulence inside and not flow straight across. The overall size would be 10" tall and 10" long.

On the super I'm running a single 3" inlet and four 1" outlets. On the limited pro truck I ran two 1" inlets and two 1" outlets per 9" core.

I think you will be just fine with a single 9" core. Have one large inlet and multiple outlets to cool the water faster.

Back