Anyone ever narrowed Dana 80

iride813

I have decided to go ahead and back half my drag truck. That being said I’m going to narrow it enough to clear my slicks in the process. I know they are heavy and that’s why most people switch to something else but I can’t drop much more weight. I’ve searched trying to find some posts about this. Everywhere I’ve looked don’t seem to make narrowed axles for a 80. I’m just curious if anyone has done this and who you went through to get axles made. Thanks!

I run a narrowed 80. I should have just built another rearend. However I had it laying around so I went with it.

If you’re set on narrowing the 80 then my advise would be the following.
Source some billet 9” ford big bearing ends setup to weld to the diameter of the d80 tube.

Once you do that, then you can use ford 9” axles, bearings, and brakes. The center section will still use d80 components. Pick your poison-locker, air locker, spool, whatever you desire.

Measure it out and pick a width that allows you to use common 9” axle lengths.

If you twist an axle, you can call-strange, Currie, etc... and have axles shipped out same day.

~Wes~

There are a few pics in this photo gallery of the narrowed D80 from my little truck. For some reason I cannot direct link to the photos. I’m assuming because they are in a slideshow gallery. So, you’ll have to scroll through them. Sorry.

Click Me

There are a few pics in this photo gallery of the narrowed D80 from my little truck. For some reason I cannot direct link to the photos. I’m assuming because they are in a slideshow gallery. So, you’ll have to scroll through them. Sorry.

Click Me

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Happy to help. Not many guys setup d70/d80 axles this way. Usually by the time they look at going this far, they go to another axle. Besides being heavy it does work well. One upside is that people tend to dig it when they see it.

Happy to help. Not many guys setup d70/d80 axles this way. Usually by the time they look at going this far, they go to another axle. Besides being heavy it does work well. One upside is that people tend to dig it when they see it.

Yea honestly could use alittle weight back there lol. I’ll let you know how it ends up!

I run a narrowed 80. I should have just built another rearend. However I had it laying around so I went with it.

If you’re set on narrowing the 80 then my advise would be the following.
Source some billet 9” ford big bearing ends setup to weld to the diameter of the d80 tube.

Once you do that, then you can use ford 9” axles, bearings, and brakes. The center section will still use d80 components. Pick your poison-locker, air locker, spool, whatever you desire.

Measure it out and pick a width that allows you to use common 9” axle lengths.

If you twist an axle, you can call-strange, Currie, etc... and have axles shipped out same day.

~Wes~
I don't mean to hijack your post Iride, I am also in the same situation and considering options.

Crawler, if you hadn't built a D80, what would axles would you have built? Ford 9? How about front axle?

My project drag truck currently has a 14bolt rear, D60, 205 case...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I did a narrowed 70 pretty much exactly how crawler did his. I put a 32 spline detroit in mine and orderd 32 spline axles from strange with the length I needed. 9" bearing ends with wildwood dual caliper brakes per side. Works good for my little Dakota.

I don't mean to hijack your post Iride, I am also in the same situation and considering options.

Crawler, if you hadn't built a D80, what would axles would you have built? Ford 9? How about front axle?

My project drag truck currently has a 14bolt rear, D60, 205 case...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Just depends on your taste I guess.
For the rear, I'd use a 9" or a D60. Both would save weight vs the D70 or D80. They both have a lot of aftermarket support and gear selection.

For the front, I would probably stick with the D60. Somebody could probably make a smaller front work. But, unless I was looking for every pound of weight savings, I'd take the reliability of the 60.

I ran a shortened D80. Had a company cut/shorten the factor axles and re-spline.

I know this is a long time since I posted this. But somehow read over your reply. I’ve been looking to go this route. We’re yours the 35 spline or 37. Mine is the 35. I think I’ve decided on getting a full spool and just having factory axles cut down. It’s the cheap way out. But from what I’ve read the factory axles are pretty tough

Back