View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #21
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselheaD View Post
What’s a promod? Seems like a really loose term tossed around... fwiw Johnny Gilbert has a complete tube frame 4wd deep in the 5’s at 4500#ish but it’s not considered pro mod because it’s heavy??
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlibert View Post
You’ll get a lot of debate about what is or isn’t a pro mod.

Carbon fiber or fiberglass body = pro mod.
I’d say a steel body (roof/quarters on a car, or cab on a truck) and original vin tag would mean it’s not a pro mod. Weight doesn’t have much to do with it, it just so happens to be the name picked by some diesel classes. A stock 3000# jetta tdi isn’t a pro mod.
I'd say that the Diesel World of Drag Racing is somewhat different than the accepted NHRA standards of Drag Racing and therefore the term ProMod will be somewhat different for each.

For diesel drag racing the ProMod class seems to fit pretty well with the accepted ProMod terminology in diesel circles... If you stuff a diesel engine into a lightweight car or truck and drag race it, you will be doing it in a ProMod class and it can effectively be called a ProMod even if it is a steel bodied car still since it will be much lighter than a diesel truck with a full frame or even back half running the same engine combination. I don't believe the CumStang was running a full fiberglass body but it was still very much a ProMod in diesel racing circles.

If Johnny Gilbert pulled some more weight out of his truck and ran it with a steel cab in ProMod it would be a ProMod, but because he runs it at a weight that wont fit in the ProMod class and is appropriate for the Pro Street class it is still a Pro Street truck.

It takes a lot of work to get ANY truck down to ProMod weight!!!

I don't remember the weight on JPs truck, but even though it is a very light 4WD it probably still fits best in the Pro Street class like Lavon's truck. Yet the tube chassis Firepunk built S-10 is a lightweight drag truck that is surely a ProMod.

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.