Upgrading the NV5600 for faster shifting.

Are you talking about machining the dog rings to accept a large 4 lug type pattern like the things liberty does to older 4speeds or what?

I dont know how familiar you are with the 5600 but if you look at the 1-2 sencro block it is a 3 pice setup witch gives twice the surface contact on the rings(O.D. and I.D.) than the other 2 pice setup(only the O.D. of the ring is used) thats throughout the rest of the transmision and the 3 pice also does not alow the rings to be compressed too far durring a hard shift causing them to break. So we are going to adapt the 3 pice to the rest of the transmision similar to the 1-2 blocker giving us twice to friction area and hope to make them less prone to breaking.

Im not saying that the upgrade will work. As of now it just looks good in our heads untill we try it and see what happens. I know it won't shift like a corvette, but I can dream right.

We got my trans apart last night and it turns out I twisted the spines on the output. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Last edited:
Yallzallzs are talking spanglish....post up some pictures so us common folk have a clue as to what you are talking 'bout. :D

I dont know how familiar you are with the 5600 but if you look at the 1-2 sencro block it is a 3 pice setup witch gives twice the surface contact on the rings(O.D. and I.D.) than the other 2 pice setup(only the O.D. of the ring is used) thats throughout the rest of the transmision and the 3 pice also does not alow the rings to be compressed too far durring a hard shift causing them to break. So we are going to adapt the 3 pice to the rest of the transmision similar to the 1-2 blocker giving us twice to friction area and hope to make them less prone to breaking.

Im not saying that the upgrade will work. As of now it just looks good in our heads untill we try it and see what happens. I know it won't shift like a corvette, but I can dream right.

We got my trans apart last night and it turns out I twisted the spines on the output. Anyone else ever heard of this?

I did the same thing + it sheared off the end flush with the the t-case. But, the splines definitely had a twist to them.

I'd be interested in whatever you came up with.

I did the same thing + it sheared off the end flush with the the t-case. But, the splines definitely had a twist to them.

I'd be interested in whatever you came up with.

Something like this?:rockwoot:
DSC00083.jpg

Good luck with the work bigbore. These 6 speeds can sure use a little creative thinking and custom work.

if your racing only how bout the lenco trans. just a thought if the truck is 2wd what about a fully built t56 viper trans, some of those turbo'd vipers are 1900 or so hp and they live, we have more mass to move but with cryo treating and chit maybe it could work.

Something like this?:rockwoot:
:Cheer:

Exactly like that. Dumping the clutch and having the entire pickup hop into the air was apparently not a good thing.......who knew.

One day I'd like to machine the center of that piece out and in case it in some sorta clear resin something or other and use it as a shift knob.

Ive gone from g56 to 5600. Im throwing in the towel and looking for the parts to go auto. Hell with the dumptruck shifting!

I wish I could put a auto in mine, I just cant afford the 8k price tag for the built auto at the moment.

This ^^^. We all know we can throw money at a different tranny until we are broke. The whole idea of the thread was to find slight, cheap, modifications that could "help" a tad. Holy crap....I'm trying to keep a thread on track? What is the world coming too. LOL

Food for thought for the folks that can't, won't do the labor to pull swap and fix these manual transmissions consider the following and learn from my mistakes (as I should of learned from others back then too!!!)

Had I not spent $1500 in labor (there abouts over all). $1500 on a DD clutch. $3500 on a new nv5600. $1500 to fix the "new" when I chipped a few teeth off 6th and cryo'ed bunch of parts..... And just went with an auto years ago and spent the $8000 once. Not twice + more like I just did. I'd be way away ahead in the long run. I got lucky I suppose, the current NV5600 was sold for a decent amount to cover a good chunk of the costs. Might get a few bucks back from the DD clutch.

if you got the shop, tools, time, effort to do most of the rebuild work, costs are dramatically cheaper obviously.

I personally just flat out don't want an auto in this pickup. Maybe in the next one or the one after, but not this one.

I personally just flat out don't want an auto in this pickup. Maybe in the next one or the one after, but not this one.

^^^This....every piece of it. :D

...especially after reading all the torque converter ball bashing threads. LOL

Last edited:
yes - one could take several pages from the old 4 spd guys. There were specially designed synchros - ie only had every third tooth left, or there were ramp type dog rings that didnt even require using the clutch to shift hard and fast. The only downside - they couldnt be down shifted worth a hoot,if at all, but who downshifts drag racing

or better yet go looking for one of the old clutch flite setups, cuz your auto tranny today started as a torque flite and could be adapted to it no problem .. they are on Ebay every once in awhile

Do some research.. you will find what you need out there.

Last edited:
Did this go anywhere bigbore050?

Making some parts to do this for a friends 5600. If there's interest and I'm not stepping on any toes making the parts I can offer pricing when they're ready to ship?

I'd be interested in hearing about what you come up with. Looking to go in and replace 3-4 synchros soon and open to upgrades while I'm there - if they're really upgrades. Let me know. Thanks.

Back