Idle tune that saves fuel?

KILLER 'B'

Pro Wrench Turner
Hello all, I have a friend that has EFI live and hes wondering if there was anyone in the colder climates that's has a tune that uses less fuel of prolonged idling time. I told him that idling really isn't good for a diesel engine, but he's just curious if something like this is possible. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Hello all, I have a friend that has EFI live and hes wondering if there was anyone in the colder climates that's has a tune that uses less fuel of prolonged idling time. I told him that idling really isn't good for a diesel engine, but he's just curious if something like this is possible. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

huh?

what about shutting down 3 cylinders and raising the idle rpm on the others like the vp trucks do when below 0? It creates heat faster but I'm not sure about the amount of fuel used?

^yes this is what I was thinking. Maybe shutting off 4 cylinders. Is it possible?

Idle fuel consumption is what it is. I know there is no way around that. I just wanted to know if anyone in colder climates did anything to consume less fuel for long idle periods.

Last edited:
Common rail will try and meet the required idle setting. If you cut out three injectors, then the other 5 will have to add the fuel required to meet the demand.

You can lower idle rpm, may help.

Fast idle may help some, and it will also help with wet stacking which is why you want to avoid prolonged idling in the cold. Raising the timing isn't really going to help, and shutting off 4 cylinders would make it use more fuel which is CUMMINS shuts down half the cylinders for warm-up(the cylinders that are shut off will still pump air, but it will be wasted energy which causes more load). Lowering the fuel pressure won't work either as I have found that 33 MPA or so is about as low as you can go for an LB7 to keep it from smoking white from low cylinder temps. Raising the rail pressure will increase parasitic drag which will be counter productive as well. About your only option is to make it idle around 800 or so which is about where it burns the least amount of fuel with no load.

Back