Block Prep/Clay Valves

jhastings

Fellas,
Getting ready to put this motor back together, but had a couple quick questions as I need to prep block and check piston to valve clearance with clay.

1. I scraped deck smooth, but still has discoloration. Someone mentioned running over the deck with WD-40 and a true bar (don't have one) wrapped in some sand paper to knock off high spots? Would this remove to much material or score too much? Would a sanding block not be true enough?

2. I'm putting head on with old head gasket that's already crushed. Can I just clay #1 cylinder for ptvc or do I need to check others? Ok to just torque a few studs down?

Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just make sure the deck is perfectly clean, check with a new sharp razor blade, don't worry with the color. Be carefull with the air sander discs. Kids playdo works good as clay and is easy to find.

I usually check 1 and 6 and if they clear well call it good. If my cam was pushing the limits on clearance do all 6.

Definitely no discs. Is razor blade clean good enough?

I usually use the less abrasive air discs, just being careful and go around the dowl pins good with a new razor blade. Just make sure it is absolutely clean. Kinda hard to do quick without an air tool but scrape it good.

Put the head on with old stock hg and just clayed #1 cylinder. Adjusted valve lash to .025" on both I and E. Spun the motor a couple times and this is what I got.

0.035" intake PTVC and 0.058 exhaust.

Is that enough? If I need more, I can go with 0.010" over hg.IMG_20170219_165909399.jpg

no it isn't enough on the intake just retard your cam timing with a 5 degree off set key and i think you will be good or maybe a 2 degree would be enough I know enterprise sells a 5 degree.

A .010 gasket might not hurt for extra safety. You were not going to run your intake at .025 lash were you?

Ok. Out of curiosity, how many degrees is a tooth? (360/#teeth?) No I'll use stock lash (0.010 and 0.020?)

What's the downside to 0.010 over hg? Lower compression?

Ok. Out of curiosity, how many degrees is a tooth? (360/#teeth?) No I'll use stock lash (0.010 and 0.020?)

What's the downside to 0.010 over hg? Lower compression?

You should've lashed your valves to what you're intending to run them at. You're more like .020" clearance on your PTV now instead of .035".

1 tooth is 10 crank degrees 5 cam because the cam spins half the speed. I was probably wrong on the 5 degree key that is probably too much and would make your exh tight. 2 is better

So I had a stock cam ground by Oregon Cam that is a mild profile. I put it in today and then clayed the ptvc with my old stock hg. I then set valve lash at .010" intake and .020" exhaust. I spun the motor then took it all apart. The ptvc are 0.060" intake and 0.070" exhaust.

Can I run a stock hg or should I go 0.010" over?

Back