View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
6V to 12V, anyone done it?

I've got an old TO-30, and the 6V battery died. I tossed a 12V battery I had lying around on it so I could plow my driveway yesterday (we got 3ft in MN...). I am not planning on leaving it , or at least not without doing a conversion.

I have a couple good 120A Jeep alternators on the shelf that I could rig up, and get rid of the generator, but what else needs to be done?

I also notices it is positive ground, which I'd like to change.

Here are my questions:

-If I change to neg ground, do I need to swap the polarity (swap wires) on the starter?

-Do I need resistors anywhere in the system to keep something from getting hot? Lights maybe?

-What needs to be done with the ignition coil? I bet it wont like 12V, but can I toss an ignition coil from any other 4 cyl into it, or could I even toss one from a 4.0L inline 6 (more spare jeep parts)? I don't know enough about spark plug systems apparently.

One more thing, it is on the brink of fouling plugs, and there's a decent amount of oil in the exhaust, and a slight knocking sound. I boro-ed the cylinders and they look fine, so I am thinking maybe the valve guides are crapping out? Thoughts? I don't have any experience with this engine.

Thanks guys.