bad turbo lag, high egt

fastrider450r

Cummins Enthusiast
My uncle got my cousin a 2000 p pump 24v for Christmas. It appears someone did a nice job with the pump conversion, just needs some fine tuning. I'm not too keen on p pumps...yet.
The fuel mods are as follows, spoken from the previous owner.
215 pump
23* timing
4k gov springs
full cut delivery valves
single feed line from LP
7x12 injectors
airdog, supplying only 15lbs at idle, 5 WOT. non adjustable (I know WAY to low)
single borg/Barder built 363, billet wheel, .90 exhaust housing. on stock manifold.
Boost reference is hooked up to pump off of the intake manifold.

It takes "years" for the thing to spool, and smokes like a freight train from above idle to WOT. 40psi max, and with EGT's are pretty high, no problem hitting 1400+ cruising up a slight grade. Idles clean, and starts very well cold.

I haven't had much time with the truck to look for boost or exhaust leaks, since he just got it for him 4 days ago.

I have two friends willing to help with pump work if need be.

Could it be as simple as too low of fuel pressure from the air dog? Or more as too big of delivery valves or anything in between? The air dog is also non adjustable.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks for your time!
Ted.

It sounds like it has a gutted AFC, also agree get better delivery valves. I like the way the 7mm sets run on a street truck, they can be bought under $200 from power driven diesel along with others I'm sure.

alright thank you guys I really appreciate it! Im not 100% sure on the fuel plate either. Ill hopefully have the truck this weekend to look further into it.

Back