View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
StuckinMud

Name: StuckinMud
Title: Absolutely Clueless....
Member`s Gallery
There's been 6 in my family alone. Three have seen the autocross track and one of those was a 12 sec. NA VR6. I have turbo'd 3 VR6's and played with many others. Funny thing is all have been very reliable, even the modded turbo cars...well except one a friend tried someone else's turbo chip...but I fixed it with all new pistons...
I have been around these cars for hundered's of thousand miles and have never seen a problem child like the one described by the OP, but if you build enough of em you will have some bad ones.

Historically VW's NA motors are good for 4-600k miles all day long, I have seen at least a dozen of them over 500k! But like anything else it all comes down to what does the owner do in the first 10 seconds after its been started? This not only impacts lubricated surfaces but may aspects of the car, especially in areas on harsh winters.

That said, however they are not the most reliable car on the road and far from being the worst. What they are coveted for is their character. They are fun to drive. People often say how they just find a reason to drive them. Get into a Honda, albeit very reliable they have no personality and are very bland and boring to drive. I have owned so many cars in my life and all of them modded one way or another from high HP V8's (Chevelles Camaros, mustangs and many more) to quite a few of the rice cars mixed in among the many trucks. many were GREAT vehicles but none of them ever possessed the character of the VWs. As long as they keep building them that way I'll buy another new one in a few years. After all I mod everything to my liking anyway...you should see far far my snowblower can shoot snow ROFL