Using Hy-Gard Equivalent?

Cozze44

Junkman
Has anyone used an equivalent to JD Hy-gard as oppose to the genuine in their trans? Any issues with doing so? Guy at local lube supply say he sells Super S 303 fluid with much success. Thanks.

I use Case IH Hy-Trans Ultra and love it. Lowers stall 100-200rpm, and seems to hold more torque when the TC is locked up.

I know PDD has some fluids that are supposed to be even better, but I haven't tried them yet.

I use Case IH Hy-Trans Ultra and love it. Lowers stall 100-200rpm, and seems to hold more torque when the TC is locked up.

I know PDD has some fluids that are supposed to be even better, but I haven't tried them yet.

Good deal, im looking to lower my stall mainly, and this seems to be the easiest way to do so, I wouldn't mind going even more then that. Thanks, it just seemed that everyone ran JD, wasnt sure if it was a must for some reason.

My Duramax is not exactly a monster engine (only 540 HP and 1000 TQ) but the Garmon built Allison uses one of the first SunCoast GMax kits and a DPC converter from when Phil was still renting space from Jeff... Anyhow I ran Royal Purple synthetic ATF in it from the rebuild until recently and never had it slip at all (I may not have a lot of power but I am spinning 37-inch Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs on KMC Beadlock wheels that weigh in at 114-pounds per corner). Recently we did the 5 to 6 speed SunCoast swap in the Allison and I switched to the SunCoast synthetic D-TypeATF and it has also been great...

I expect that we will still use one of those two fluids even after we do the more powerful engine build...

I've been using it for about 5k miles on my 47re I built this spring. Seems like good stuff, it definitely got lots of abuse this summer. I also put it in my transfer case lol not sure if I should have done that but I haven't noticed any ill effects yet. Biggest thing is the cold, if you dd your truck and have a low stall converter, well you know the rest.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I put a good amount of miles on Shell Spirax Trans/Hydraulic oil before switching to Low Vis HyGard. Worked good for me.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I've been using it for about 5k miles on my 47re I built this spring. Seems like good stuff, it definitely got lots of abuse this summer. I also put it in my transfer case lol not sure if I should have done that but I haven't noticed any ill effects yet. Biggest thing is the cold, if you dd your truck and have a low stall converter, well you know the rest.

How cold are you taking? What stall is your converter?
I need to drop the pan on my 48RE to change pan gasket. With the price of ATF, I'm considering a hydraulic fluid switch over to the Super S 303 also. We run 303 in all our tractors.

Last edited:
I've had 2 differant converters from goerend, 15 fin stock stall and a 17 fin left hand cut. Both will stall in Temps under 30 degrees on a cold start. I think I got a 5 gallon bucket for 85 or 90,which is cheaper than any atf I could find. I usually just start out in 4low to get the truck rolling and then switch back into 2hi. Never stalled on me that way yet

How cold are you taking? What stall is your converter?
I need to drop the pan on my 48RE to change pan gasket. With the price of ATF, I'm considering a hydraulic fluid switch over to the Super S 303 also. We run 303 in all our tractors.

I think i'll be giving the 303 a try as well. Have read about some people using a different trans filter, was wondering if an oem type filter works ok with hydraulic fluid?

I've been running the cheap TSC universal tractor fluid with good results, for the price you can't beat it. Ran AW46 in a buddys truck and that made a more noticeable difference in stall speed but it liked to act up in the cold, the TSC fluid hasn't given me any trouble in the cold yet. I'd run the older style open element filter if you switch to hyrdaulic.

Good deal, im looking to lower my stall mainly, and this seems to be the easiest way to do so, I wouldn't mind going even more then that. Thanks, it just seemed that everyone ran JD, wasnt sure if it was a must for some reason.

I'm also running a Transtar Recon Triple TC that's 200rpm lower stall. I really like how my truck behaves with it, but it takes some getting used to. I have my pump set up to have a really strong idle so I can make it just higher than the oil pump needs. Otherwise the engine would be pushing me at a stop sign and building heat.

Back