Injection timing and TC stall speed

texastruck

Hey guys, so I'm in the middle of shopping for a new torque converter for my 47rh. I bumped the timing of the engine up to 17* (stock was 12.5), and as I understand it, advancing the timing moves the powerband of the engine high up in the RPMs. Would I still want to go with a low stall (~300 rpm lower) torque converter, or would a stock stall speed work better. This truck will see virtually no towing, just moderate street performance, on 37 inch tires.

The engine has 4k gsk spring kit, 5x0.014 injectors. Stock turbo for now, haven't messed with the AFC yet.

With a stock turbo and 17* BTDC timing I'd stick with a low stall. I'm a big fan of low stall converters. I'm currently running a 1600 stall on 15* timing with an S300 VNT and 5 x 0.014's.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

With 37" tires id favor closer to stock stall as long as the turbo setup won't be too large. Bigger turbo, higher stall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ide favor the stock stall aswell. I loved my low stall when the truck disnt make much hp. Now its a complete pita! Big tires are harder to get motivated.

Low stall + big tires + big single = you will hate driving your truck

I wish I knew when I got my converter mines a 1500 or 1600 from fti it's a bad unit but I have to watch lock up I'm on 35's with 3.54's

I'm on 37's with 21deg timing (I float between 21 and 24), and use a 200 RPM stall lower converter with thick fluid to bring ti down another 100 RPM. I've been thinking about going up to stock stall a lot lately. I'd recommend stock stall.

I'm on 37's with 21deg timing (I float between 21 and 24), and use a 200 RPM stall lower converter with thick fluid to bring ti down another 100 RPM. I've been thinking about going up to stock stall a lot lately. I'd recommend stock stall.

I'm on 35's with 3.54's with a 1500-1600stall with a single 366 (73mm turbine qheel) not friendly lol I've thought about restalling mine to factory stall but I'm too lazy to pull the trans plus I'm doing twins .

For some reason the converter doesn't like bigger turbines other that stock I had bad bark with a 62/65 63/68 And a 64.5/73 and it wasn't the normal bark.. id be in it in 3rd gear 20-30psi and when it went into lock up the turbo barked until I took my foot out of it... stock hx35 doesn't do it

Which fluid ? I have a stock stall wth my silver 64 and while it can spool easy I wouldn't mind a little lower stall if it can be done with a fluid change. It is atf+4 right now

Not overly fond of my 1600 stall tc and current fuel setup for boosted launches but other than that it I actually don't mind it, even towing 11k lbs. The problem with the 1600 rpm stall is my turbo lights at 1650 so a boosted launch takes 10 seconds to push through. Stock stall from now on unless I have a stock truck and turbo, then definitely a low stall

Which fluid ? I have a stock stall wth my silver 64 and while it can spool easy I wouldn't mind a little lower stall if it can be done with a fluid change. It is atf+4 right now

I've run Case Hy-Tran for the last three years with no problems. When it's really cold (-25F) I need to let the truck warm up for 2-3 min otherwise it'll try shifting straight to 3rd gear, but as soon as the fluid moves around for a couple minutes, it acts normal.

I've been using Shell Spirax Trans Hydraulic in mine for a few years to help lower the stall. Never noticed any shifting issues yet but I always let the truck idle a few minutes anyway. Definitely tightened up the converter a little more when I switched from the Amsoil ATF.

I've been using Shell Spirax Trans Hydraulic in mine for a few years to help lower the stall. Never noticed any shifting issues yet but I always let the truck idle a few minutes anyway. Definitely tightened up the converter a little more when I switched from the Amsoil ATF.

Yeah, I usually let it warm up a bit if it's that cold (or in general), but sometimes I've got places to be! ha ha Just worth mentioning. I've never ever had it happen above zero degrees.

Yeah, I usually let it warm up a bit if it's that cold (or in general), but sometimes I've got places to be! ha ha Just worth mentioning. I've never ever had it happen above zero degrees.

I just reread my post. Sorry, I didn't mean to come across like I was bashing your driving habits when I said that. I just meant I haven't experienced it yet although there have been mornings when I've wondered if it would all of a sudden do something funny. I understand what your saying completely. My truck is usually parked in the garage though, so most of the time it doesn't see less than - 10*C anyways.

Back