Oil Pan Question and Wtf moment

biggy238

So, I installed my oil pan (2003) onto my 6.7 block.

I was under the engine looking up, and was torquing the bolts to 16ftlb.
I get up and see two things:

The bolts are stupid long. Both ESN's I use are calling for 25mm bolts.

The pan gasket split in 4 places along the driver side.

We took a hammer and knocked the holes in the pan back out before it went to powder coat. They were dimpled to the block side.
To make things even better, I put loctite on the bolts, and aircraft sealer on the gasket.
It's going to be a mess when I pull it apart.

So, what gasket number do I need to put on this thing? This one was the pink paper with printed blue seal. 493- part number I think. The structure kit came with a white gasket also.
b0295600bbd12c082423f6055c717eb1.jpg
c916d4c225256da666620751584a6ffa.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Get a pan for a 6.7. They have built in support rails all the way around which makes the bolts the correct length

Get a pan for a 6.7. They have built in support rails all the way around which makes the bolts the correct length

Bingo
As far as gasket I've not made up my mind on what is best. The one I used came in a few pieces that locked together like a puzzle. Believe that was a mahle gasket. Not sure if that is the latest and greatest design or if one piece would be better.

I've been getting the 4-piece puzzle like ones from Cummins lately. They don't impress me much though I'm yet to have one leak on me.......

Sometimes black RTV answers a lot of questions. I know that some of the places that sell a girdle for these motors recommend no gasket with RTV

I hate to replace the pan now since it's powder coated. I'm not beyond using rtv and no gasket.

That leaves two questions, why do my ESN's only show the front rear reinforcement plates. I guess the newer 6.7 has an entire ring?

I can find shorter bolts.

Does the pan leak? I used a 6.7 pan which had supports all the way around. And for the gasket I used the pink one with the blue silicone gasket printed on it from cummins. I didn't put any gasket dealer or rtv on it besides the four corners were the front timing cover and rear main housing met and I have zero leaks so far after 2k miles. Bolts torque'd to 18 ftlbs
4812465f6133b99062c02be0f1051928.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4b676ce7ba5f89c4100beb66d5a6c2b8.jpg

I can't remember how long of bolts I used but with the 6.7 pan they just stick above the block casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show-off ?

I used the pink with blue printed seal.

It sounds like err in this is not having the reinforcement plates (I never had them) as everyone has pointed out.

As for does it leak? It's on the stand and not fully assembled. I sure as hell don't want to find out after it's in a chassis.

The problem is the sealer you used acts like a lube, so when you tighten the bolts the gasket can squirt out, if that makes sense. Should be putting it on dry or with some contact adhesive to hold it to the pan. Then put a small dab of sealer on the gasket joints where the rear seal carrier meets the block and the front cover where it meets the block.

The pan is the issue. We missed some holes when we were knocking the pan rail back. I was in a hurry last night and didn't catch it.
b814ae81ac4bf0b6c09f6edfa111815f.jpg

The problem is the sealer you used acts like a lube, so when you tighten the bolts the gasket can squirt out, if that makes sense. Should be putting it on dry or with some contact adhesive to hold it to the pan. Then put a small dab of sealer on the gasket joints where the rear seal carrier meets the block and the front cover where it meets the block.
We must have post at the same time, but yes, the sealer caused a problem.

The road to hell is paved in good intentions.

That's 5.9 pan gasket.
Cummins has since changed that part number and replaced it with a stupid puzzle gasket. I can still get the one piece part# in aftermarket.

So I would be OK to use it in this situation?

I need the reinforcement plates. It looks like the plates are integral to the pan on the 2012 serial number I looked up?

Cluster repair.

Using the 25mm bolts in the aluminum with no backers put the threads of the bolts completely through the bores in the front housing. The tips of the bolts rolled threads on 3 of the 4. They destroyed the threads when I pulled the pan this morning.

So: Gardserts.
cbde091277d24f5c2dc630567a640355.jpg
0156cfcbd2dbcb3986282b15ca817cdd.jpg
99c403836f0a201a3373db2b7c5c320c.jpg

Get shorter bolts, or shorten yours. I could sell you a 6.7 pan, I don't think those plates are available.

Back