View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 02:01 AM   #303
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram12vcummins View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm not trying to compare twins to a single as to which is better. More or Less does a single like this come close enough to what I want to avoid the time building the twins and money spent on them. Even being budget twins an using the stock charger the piping and second charger costs would prob be more than this single turbo setup. So with the timing and using the wide bowl Pistons there isn't a worry running that much advance. My motor is all stock never been opened. So I guess I might run the risk of spraying the walls? I'm trying to understand why I see most dd stay 16-17 degrees advance an no higher.
Bowl size doesn't change the cylinder wall width so it won't have an effect on when/where fuel can directly spray on the cylinder walls.

With stock bowls on a 12 valve and 145* pattern injectors, you usually can get away with 24* timing and still be inside the bowl when using thin 020" copper sealing washers. There is a difference between being in the bowl on the upper lip and in the bowl down where the fuel was designed to be sprayed. This truck got excellent fuel mileage before the bottom end rebuild and wider pistons, when it was running stock pistons, 5x014" VCO Budget Builder Injectors, thin washers, and 24* timing.
OEM 12v Block