Driving issues with 19.5 tires

jedeka

A few years ago, I bought a used set of 19.5 tires and wheels for my 05 dually. The fronts and outside rests are aluminum and steel inners. The tires were a China brand and I could never get them balanced. I pulled them off and installed a Cooper tire. They balanced fine and I ran them for several years, but didn't think the life of the Coopers were much better than the 17" Nittos I had on the OEM wheels. I currently have on a set of Goodyear 622 RSD 245/19.5 on the truck. They have been wearing really well and balance up pretty nice. The problem I have with the 19.5 setup is the feedback thru the steering wheel. The front end feels like it is wandering or skating, which has me correcting the steering wheel all of the time. I put in new Moog ball joints a year ago and last fall they were getting loose. I just put in a set of Carli joints and only have a couple hundred miles on them. I know I haven't gone thru my break-in period with them, but was hoping the Carlis were the answer to my problem. I have a Yukon spin free kit, Kore leveling kit with Bilstein shocks, Thurenfab track bar and upgraded sway bar links. Anyone have any ideas? I'm about ready to find some 17" wheels and tires to see if my problem goes away .

had a set on my crewcab, made a few trips but hated the way they drove. took them off and sold them. they looked good though. not sure if 22's are any better. they drive better on an ifs for some reason.

I had 22.5 on my old King Ranch and hated the way they road. Sold them after 6 months and went back to stocks. Then on my 12 valve I had a set of 19.5" wheels and the rode like crap also and went to 17" wheels instead. I always had them balanced and cut but the ride still sucked, The wife would complain always about the truck shaking the pee out of her.

You running G622 rsd on the front? It's an open block drive tire... I've yet to see a drive tire regardless of vehicle not cup....

I personally run steers/all position tire on the front, for last ~120k with no issues, I won't run a drive tire on the front

Last edited:
The power company trucks and Union Pacific trucks run 622's all the way around. I did have cupping in front tires and rotated tires to the back. My concern with steer tires on a 4x4 truck was not getting traction in 4x4 situations.

Back