Looking for 9" advice

cbtoyz

Vaginatarian
I bought a back braced 9" housing to put under my 2wd race truck. I am looking for some advice on building a 3rd member to handle the abuse. It's a single cab long bed and as the truck sits right now, it weighs 5140 with me in it. Hopefully after the back halving it and removing a few more items up front I can get her down to around 4700 pounds. It has 700hp right now, and once I get the chassis set up, and my wallet recovers, I will be working on more HP. I'm looking for some advice.

Id use no less than a strange N case, alum. big bearing front support, 35 spline spool/axles, and Pro Gear ring & pinion. Anything less will break

I was planing on going with 40 spline axles and a steel spool with a Nod. housing. Will an aluminum front support hold up? I'm a newbie with this kinda stuff. I thought I'd need something like a Daytona Iron support.

I was thinking I needed something similar to PRF-120 with the moly yoke, 40 splined spool, and pro gears? (Page 44)Strange Engineering

The 40 spline will just be more insurance and the better choice, I was giving the minimum suggestion before. You have to run that big bearing front cover to fit the huge 35 spline pro gear pinion anyhow, and yes follow these parts up with a chrome moly yoke. While your at a bare case Id sugguest doing a 1/4" pipe drain and a nice big inspection fill on the top, it makes fluid changes so easy and you can get a good look see at the gear gear, the pro gear set is soft and wears much faster than the 28 spline street gears. I always weld in a 1" pipe coupling and just screw in a 1" pipe plug, cut the coupling in 1/2 or 1/3 for a nice clean look, its very cheap also..... good luck with the project.
Ryan Tucker

Last edited:
It would really depend on how you set them up prob. I tend to set my gear sets up on the tight side and burn them in, I hate a sloppy gear set. So I usually shot for around .003" to .005" many will go as loose as .012/.015" maybe even more. It will also depend on how many passes you make a year, I make a lot of laps more than average Im sure; its nothing for me to get 450-500 passes in each year. I put more than 300 on the Altered just this season and the gear set still looked very good with no real noticable backlash or wear, so Im thinking prob. 3 seasons as a good quess, 4-5 seasons for most others I'd think? Load a tall gear, the torque will carry it; and load is what you will be hunting for the lighter you go with the racer.......
Ryan

Id use no less than a strange N case, alum. big bearing front support, 35 spline spool/axles, and Pro Gear ring & pinion. Anything less will break

There... I put it in BOLD for ya Ryan.

Anything less just makes you nice carnage trophies for the wall and your drive shaft builder more money.

If I took the time to weld all that broken crap together it would be one very impressive piece. Many many Convertor carnage, PG, th350, th400 shafts and internals carnage, 4-5 9" ring & pinions, yokes, man it adds up. It really pays to over build and use the very best of parts the very first time. When going this route you really have to build the project as if thier's a blown injected Pro Mod engine in the chassis becuase thats the kind of torque your dealing with even though the HP may only be 50% of that. Torque breaks parts. I know many others try hard to tune away from this by reving the engine and operating it way out of its efficent band, I didnt I operated it more in it's torque curve 2k-4500 and went fast, but I'll admit it breaks a lot of parts. What kind of torque is present against the brake at 60# boost at 2100 rpm, lol answer: A bunch

Last edited:
Just thought I'd post a few pictures of my early Christmas presents...:rockwoot:

1213101254.jpg

1213101324.jpg

congrats on the parts delivery. I run an aluminum front support but mine's missing another 1000 lbs. I would recommend extra bracing for that backhalf between the rear of the cage and the top of the 4-link brackets. Mine flexes too much with the minimal bracing I have in it now.

Thanks. I wasn't intending on doing a build thread, but I guess I'll post up a few pictures of the progress. This is a chassis and suspension mod after all.

1215101729a.jpg

1215101739.jpg

1220101419a.jpg

1220101419.jpg

1221101103.jpg

1221101110.jpg

Last edited:
that is nasty lol im getting ready to get the same stuff from s&w where did you pick up those wheels and tires
did you go with a 4 link or trac bar set up i am debateing

Last edited:
Back