Random no start, fass won't kick.

99GreenCummins

That guy....
Ok,

I have had a couple no start issues with the truck lately and it frustrating me. Every now and then, the fass won't engage and truck just rolls over and won't start. If you let truck sit for an hour or so, it will engage fass and fire right up. If you leave key on and start jiggling wires or ground, fass still will not engage. It happened this evening again. It threw a crankshaft sensor code. Got code by reading off smarty. Cleared codes and didn't come back but had no tach after it sat and got started again.

Had another strange issue, such as when down shifting, when rpms are dropping, it will jump throttle, almost like you floored pedal and let off real quick.

I will say I have a spare ECM laying around that I am tempted to throw back in and see what happens. Does this sound like an ecm issue to anyone? Or a fass issue?(Haven't had a single fass issue in the 7 years of owning this truck). Any other possible issues or things to check?

Yea I know there isn't a whole bunch of technical information there to go off of but I was a good ways from shop and no multimeter in truck to try and start really diagnosing. Just looking for a few suggestions hopefully.

Comes on as dash cycles and then goes right off.

It did it this morning again. Fired right up, drove 4 miles to work, unloaded stuff out of bed(10 mins), went back to start and won't start. At first turn of key, fass will kick on then right back off. Won't restart while truck cranks over.

Put a new crank sensor in Tuesday, been driving it all week with no starting issues. Glad about that part.

Still have this jerking/surge when slowing down. Basically like you give a quick tap of the pedal and rpms jump for a split second and drop. Not sure if I should put a new apps or swap ecms.

Do the simple things first... as we all know, vp trucks are b1tches about their grounds.

Do the simple things first... as we all know, vp trucks are b1tches about their grounds.
My a/c quit working above 1500rpm because a ground was too close to the alternator.

Anyway, have you tried to reset the apps?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Haven't done the apps reset. Been too busy with farming since it's spring. Probably be another month before the truck gets any loving.

Back