"wake up shunshine"

Bodacious

Comp Diesel Sponsor
...a small complement to one of my mentors.

I used to hear this every morning on the second pipeline job I was ever a part of.

...also smoked the best side of bacon I ever ate. ...'Ol Primmy.

Anyhow, this is a call out to my CompD Breatheran. It's about time I try to help us out and never tell a secret. I am willing, however to guide and direct in open intelligent discussion some of the "Secrets" I have learned to get me where I am today.

First on the list is piston speed. ...GO!!

On the herbs again?

must be. Why on earth would I be this crazy otherwise?

Edit: A couple Ibuprofen and a "Chief Ten Beers" is all the erb I've ever needed.

Would anyone want to open an intelligent discussion now??

Piston speed in F/M. I know what I have heard, just want to see who else might know.

Last edited:
I'm betting no one has a clue what you want to talk about...other than Piston speed in feet per minute, neither do I.

Chris

Sunrise at my house Thursday.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sunrise 10-5-17.jpg
    Sunrise 10-5-17.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 0
Well from what I have deduced, the slower the piston speed v/s crank speed, the more HP you will make.

The importance of 1500-1900 F/M is depending on fuel quality/additives, any faster and the piston out runs the force being applied to it.

If one of you fresh engineers will crank out the numbers, what would the piston speed of a 1.9L TDI engine be (in F/M) if it was spun to 10,000 RPM?

Edit: May as well throw in a 6-7K RPM 5.9 and 6.7 just to prove a point.

Last edited:
keep in mind, all this info applies to a larger goal here. Piston speed is very important for another aspect of the diesel injection world.

Will Terry spilled the beans and I was listening. I once blamed Coors light for a whopping total advance timing of 60 degrees. When I finally got the thing started, I gave 'Ol Bodacious a blast down on the proving grounds and it ran better than I have ever felt it before. Turns out, the timing pin on the Ag gov was spinning around somehow?? LOL

Will is making killer HP with small CC's of fuel because of injection rate. Slow the piston down, increase injection rate, ... see a pattern yet??

In case you all are wondering where some of my info is coming from, you all should set down and read this:

Clessie.jpg

I am about one and a half times through it. I can't seem to get any further as I have to go back and pick up all the spillage.

...and folks think I am crazy???

This is partially true, the ratio is equally as important.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Yes, rod stroke ratio is extremely important.

Like I said, depends on application. 1/4 mile racing vs endurance racing will have different mean piston speeds. Graphing the position/velocity/acceleration of different rod/stroke ratios shows some interesting information.

keep in mind, all this info applies to a larger goal here. Piston speed is very important for another aspect of the diesel injection world.

Will Terry spilled the beans and I was listening. I once blamed Coors light for a whopping total advance timing of 60 degrees. When I finally got the thing started, I gave 'Ol Bodacious a blast down on the proving grounds and it ran better than I have ever felt it before. Turns out, the timing pin on the Ag gov was spinning around somehow?? LOL

Will is making killer HP with small CC's of fuel because of injection rate. Slow the piston down, increase injection rate, ... see a pattern yet??
You are describing a steam engine instead of a modern racing engine.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Back