85 mercedes 300d performance questions

BayleeWatson07

I just picked up a 85 mercedes td, and I think it'd be neat to give it a little more power. I know the obvious stuff like turning the fuel up at the injection pump. My question is, I there a bigger turbo that will bolt up to my stock manifold? Is there somewhere that I can get some bigger injectors? Not looking to build a race car, but looking for a little power.

I had a 5 cyl engine out of one of those I swapped in a ranger, goggle rack limiter eliminator where you actually remove a piece in the pump. That and delete the egr system, I cut the accordion pipe ad used a conduit knock out to put in there. Those really made it wake up in terms of power. The auto Trans is kinda crappy. I was running an adapter plate and a ax15 and it was kinda peppy. I had did a lot of digging somewhere and found a guy importing injector nozzles from Germany that were bigger. I bought a set and put them in but didn't notice much of a difference. I don't know about a turbo that will work as far as an upgrade, I crimped wastegate closed and was making 25-30psi

There is a 300sd for sale near me and I'm interested in the same info.

Do the stock trans have lockup converters and overdrive? Is there an easy swap?

I got an om617 with a A/W intercooler, hx30 charger, 315 injectors and turned up stock IP. It doesn't do too bad. Did 125hp to the wheels at 18psi on the dyno. I tweaked the IP more since then, it might be 130 at the wheels now lol.
It has the capability of decent power, but you HAVE to spend the money and put a big injection pump on it. I'd say my car could make around 200hp pretty easy with a big IP. But I'm going to switch over to a 603 instead

Only if there is excessive back pressure. Even at 18psi you can still see the faintest hint of smoke, but I'm attributing that to the long injection duration.

I sold one to Rip Rook at Source Automotive several years ago. He drag raced it stock and posted some video somewhere. Pretty funny stuff. I think the car in the other lane was back to the start line before the Mercedes made it to the end of the track.

Definitely not gonna win very many races in stock form, but they are fun to play with and have as a commuter

Mine tips the scales at ~3600lbs, and they got 125hp at the crank factory. 1/4 mile calculater says it'll do 18.8 in stock form LOL

Definitely not gonna win very many races in stock form, but they are fun to play with and have as a commuter

Mine tips the scales at ~3600lbs, and they got 125hp at the crank factory. 1/4 mile calculater says it'll do 18.8 in stock form LOL

If it's consistent though, bracket racer from hell.

Back