steering upgrade my 02..most search is outdated

dieselbeef

dick doggin
so whats the best way to go..im spoiled now that I have a tuck with electric steering..im ruined...even my 04 was waaaaaaaay better tho. just want easier..truck will hardly turn if stopped. gotta creep to trun the wheel amd its very hard to turn anyways..

box up grade

pump upgrade?

linkages are good..just hard to turn..redheads are still avail...

gottta be a bolt in deal no fab bull****

Two biggest things are:
1) Track bar (put some new bushings in it, or get a new one)
2) Steering linkage (make sure it doesn't have any slop)

Following that: steering stabilizer, gear box, and ball joints.

Following way behind that: shocks, control arm bushings, and sway bar links & bushings.

You should be able to get a crossover style (inverted T) style drag link/tie rods, but the inverted Y setup really isn't too bad either.

If your main complaint is not being able to steer at slow speeds, look into gear box and pump upgrade.

Buddy of mine bought the full synergy Grey kit, track bar and I think even ball joints with it. He went with the pcs box setup they recommended. Best 2nd gen I've ever driven, very similar a tight 3rd gen feels. Light steering effort

it doesnt wander or have a lot of slop..it just is high effort and hard to turn. I just can almost turn it at slow speeds and wanted to put something better than stock on it

Buddy of mine bought the full synergy Grey kit, track bar and I think even ball joints with it. He went with the pcs box setup they recommended. Best 2nd gen I've ever driven, very similar a tight 3rd gen feels. Light steering effort

This

it doesnt wander or have a lot of slop..it just is high effort and hard to turn. I just can almost turn it at slow speeds and wanted to put something better than stock on it

Ah, I misunderstood.

What I'd recommend is a Red Head Gearbox (18:1 ratio, but they have a 15:1 as well), and an AGR pump. I run the big AGR pump on my truck with 37's and it made a huge difference.

Now, if you really want to hands down fix it, do a hydro assist setup. I really like the guys at West Texas Offroad. They will rebuild your gear box, modify it, and get you a bolt on kit for a pretty good price. You could also go through PCS and part a kit together yourself. Keep in mind, you want a pretty small diameter ram so your steering is still quick/responsive, and obviously, you want the stroke to be just barely oversized so you don't get binding.

Red Head Gearbox:
2869-4T: 1994-2002 Dodge 2500 Remanufacturer

AGR Pump:
Pumps

West Texas Offroad:
wtor

PCS:
Full Hydraulic Steering Components - Offroad Catalog - Motorsport Specific Products

Back