VW manual 5 speed trans needed

IdahoRob

Comp Diesel Sponsor
2006 TDI beetle, my kid driving it and looks like the clutch blew up or something. He said he down shifted the trans and bang! Basically locked the tires up and broke the transmission case. We haven't pulled it yet but put it on the hoist and viewed the carnage. The gears all seem to work, but just looking for a unit to swap, not sure I can swap in a case as these trannys look complicated.

Anyone have a line on one of these or direct me in a good direction?

Thank you,

Hey Rob,

Sounds like the DMF let go. Replace it with a South Bend SMF when you install a new trans...

Since you are replacing maybe consider going to a 6-speed. I know my 06 Jetta TDI always feels like it needs a 6th gear on the freeway...

Here are a couple Euro sellers that do complete conversion kits from TDIClub...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=373687

Frans seems to have a little better pricing, but I've read good feedback comments from people who have purchased from both of them...

I'm sure they would be able to get you just the raw 5-speed trans replacement too...

Last edited:
Hey Rob I know there was one here in a local junk yard I could check out and pick up for you I was going to pull the motor sometime this week. I know it was in a beetle just not exactly sure the year. 03 IIRC

Leonard, if you could see what the price is that would be great, I really appreciate it. I don't have a good reference for interchangeability so I'm not sure what years fit an 06 bettle. 5 speed is really fine, just looking to get it up and running again and it's just a city car that never gets above 60 mph.

Thanks for the links Chris, i'll see if I can contact them if the one Leonard knows of doesn't work out.

The 02J 5 speed transmissions were from 93-05. The question would be what will bolt up to the engine you have.

There should be a code on the top of the transmission. I have a spare one in my shop that I was going to swap into my car but I can sell it and ship it to you need be. Make me an offer. Then I can get good freight shipping so dont worry about a large expense in shipping from ohio.

mine is from a 00 Jetta TDI.

I found one a few hours away out of an 98 Jetta for $250.00, now I need to find out if it'll work. Being 06 was the last year of that beetle style, I wouldn't think they would of changed the tranny for one year so hopefully it will work.

It should bolt up. VW used the same 4cyl bell pattern for like 200 years. I have one you can have for nothing, but I'm not sure how to get it to you in a fair amount of time.
Swapping to 6spd won't do you much as they mostly came in gas cars in the states, and their 6th gear was about the same as the tdi 5th, unless you're ok with that and just want the added strength. You'd need the trans with it's mount, axles, slave cable, starter, shift linkage bracket and possibly shifter cable ends depending on what your trans already used.

If you need a clutch, I also have a sbc stage 3 endurance clutch with less than 3k on it that I'd let go real cheap. For a 5spd.

Last edited:
Mike, I can arrange shipping without a problem at all. I'd be happy to pay you for your time packing it up. I can have it picked up also. I'm in no hurry, it is a spare car.

I'm interested in the clutch also. My email is rob@atptrucks.com to work out the details. Thank you,

Back