Tap & Die set

Red Sleeper

I am looking for a good quality SAE tap and die set for general shop use of chasing and cleaning threads.

My old man has a really good one we always use, but the manufacture is no longer around.

UNC and UNF SAE set. Something from 1/8" - 3/4"

What do you have?

Snap on here, have all the way to inch in standard, and 26mm in metric. I believe snap on, matco, and Mac is is made all by the same company.

Snap on here, have all the way to inch in standard, and 26mm in metric. I believe snap on, matco, and Mac is is made all by the same company.

Thanks. Are they just standard tapered taps? Not bottom or spiral taps I'm guessing. Does snap on replace a broken tap or die?

Kind of like CDI does all the torque wrenches for the major players.

We have a Morse set, it's our "good" set, then we have a ton of random old taps we use for jobs that Aren't very important or might hurt the tap/die. The Morse set has been good.

I literally wouldn't take a snap-on set unless they paid me to take it. I've had my hands on several sets ranging from brand new to well used. I've had them where I thought they were going to break off in 1/4" aluminum to making threads sloppy in crankshafts. Nobody realizes how junk they are until they have good taps to compare to. I get taps from McMaster-Carr. Expensive to piece a complete set, but dozens of options in every size.

Get a tool truck set that is warrantied. Chasing rusty threads absolutely destroys taps and chasing a hole that has had a hardened bolt in it can be just as hard on them.

edit: I will second the mcmaster carr taps if you are going to be making new threads. I tend to buy more stuff from Maritool now. Their spiral flute bottoming taps are the best thing we have found yet for the money.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

I have a few McMaster bottoming taps and they work nicely. But would be pricy to build an entire set that way. Seems Anything McMaster carries is always going to be good quality equipment.

I'm looking hard at that gearwrench set now. The ratcheting die handles looks nice! Most of the time if I'm cutting new internal threads, I buy a spiral fluted bottoming tap for the specific job. They work amazingly! OD threads, lathe.

This gives me more info for my spread sheet.

I bought a small set of tap's form McMaster years ago and they were just Irwin in a un marked package. Then I bought another set later and they were a professional grade. So Google the part number before you order and see if it cross references to anything else.

The Irwins are decent for a home set but wouldn't hold up to heavy use. I had a moron of a business partner, among other things, ruin several of them and break the tap holders. A tap's worst enemy is the idiot that doesn't know how to use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

^^ I've been searching McMaster and believe I found the set we already have. Did a Google part number search and didn't find much else on this set.

Kind of steep on the price, but hopefully I'll only buy it once. High speed steel taps at that. 58pc
McMaster-Carr

Also looking at this one. 53pc
McMaster-Carr

Back