The Grey Goat

thundergunder

Getting it done
The Nazi regime at CumminsForum shut me down for posting a link to a review I did on a DOR track bar from a few years ago. Since I no longer have access to that thread ill just continue it on here.

Truck is an 02 QCSB Auto.

Current Mods on the truck are:

Mexico Block
Infinite Performance 8/11 VCO injectors
62/68/.80 SXE
BD Stainless Manifold
Home made 'cold air'
Hamilton 188/220 cam w/ retainer and bronze thrust.
Crower springs
TST Comp/Smarty
Fass 220 w/ -10 AN lines

Trans has Full GPZ clutches, billet input, billet output, Revmax stageV converter, Revmax VB, bolt in rear sprag. Built by me...

Home made traction bars with Johnny Joints and Synergy adjusters. Home made Torsion style sway bar. DOR steering box brace. DOR track bar.

I also have 1Aauto 4th Gen tow mirrors on it...since I was the guy that got them to make 'em :D Truck is also outfitted with Stainless steel braided brake lines from Circle Track Supply after one of the rubbers ones decided to quite.

The full build so far can be found here:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/1134602-grey-goat-build-thread.html

I have a few things I'm working on right now with the truck. There is a FirePunk Comp1 valve body on its way here. The RevMax Valve body wont down shift to 2nd on its own... RM says its supposed to be that way since it has 2nd gear lock up...lol. I will also probably swap out their TC as its "as low as anyone makes for a 47re" and its not low enough...again, lol.

I have a Farrell Stage 3 P pump sitting on the shelf, along with most of the parts I need for the swap. That will probably get done next spring sometime.

I also have the Synergy Steering on its way, that should be here Monday. Ill have a review on it as soon as it goes on.

The biggest modification I'm doing next will be the suspension and some drive train mods. If you read the original thread on CF, youll see that I have a NV271 that is going in, and a Disk Brake SRW Dana 80 Im swapping in. Along with 3" Synergy coils, and DOR long arms.

Next week, Ill order a set of replacement leaf springs from Deaver or Atlas. I also plan to run some 12" travel Fox 2.5 Remote Resi shocks, just off the shelf valving. Should be good enough for me. Only plans for off road use will be fire roads and the beach, which has a speed limit lol. Living on the east coast limits the amount of wheeling you can do with a full size truck. The main goal is ride quality.

I have a set of ProComp Xtreme MT2 tires in 37x12.50R18s to go on that are mounted to a set of Method The Standard polished wheels with a +18 off set.

Im also doing a off road sport bumper conversion so i can keep my tow hooks :)

Anyway follow along and enjoy.

Feel free to ask questions.

20140617_164419_zpsw1sv1aqd.jpg

A few days after it came home.

20141223_104245_zps0kyqt1r4.jpg

How to do a DIY bolt in rear sprag

20150210_112446_zpswpozmxu5.jpg

20150209_144412_zpssxpx1uhb.jpg

Shenanigans

20150302_150705_zpsj13luftk.jpg

Purdied up

20150524_151215_zpsuu6opwjx.jpg

20150524_185600_zps4kukgdn8.jpg

The 71mm K29 in place

20150327_095325_zpszrcloiak.jpg

doin what she do... That 71 was just too big. Awesome turbo, just to big for an auto with 3.55 gears that tows everyday.

1216151511_zpscltltnwp.jpg

Long arm goodness :) custom made with Synergy adjusters

0503161549_HDR_zpsebfclbee.jpg

The custom wastegate cover i had made by Joey at Custom Fab Shop. Now the waste gate on the 62sxe can actually move...

0506161350_zpsyr8pskag.jpg

shiney spiny things... 62SXE. Its a little bad ass. BD stainless manifold is also a nice unit. No noticeable gains out of the manifold, but it pretty :)

0804161547_HDR_zps6wtxhywh.jpg

The new rubber to go on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nazi regime at CumminsForum...
I share your sentiments, with respect to the aforementioned forum.
Thing is, the tools on there aren't getting PAID to be the douches they are and they make VerticalScope schit tons of money with time they donate for free.
Yet they treat their members like 2nd class citizens.

They aren't in the real world on that site.

Mark.

I can't do it off this computer but copy the img code and then delete the url tag once you paste it here.

That Synergy steering looks nice, I may suggest to get Thuren coils. Some guys with 2nd Gens don't like the synergy coils.

And i dint like Thurn coils.

Those that didnt like the Synergy coils were probably using the LD coils before the HD coils came out and collapsing the fist stage.

I should say its more likely I didnt like the valving in his 2.0 Fox resi shocks. Was way to firm for what I was using the truck for. They also only offered me about 1.5" and a half of down travel... But anyway...

I talked to Jeff Deaver yesterday and placed an order for a set of leaf springs. 6-8 week lead time. Im was hoping to have the truck done by the 20th of October, before we go to the beach, but if they dont show up by the 8th week that just isnt gonna happen. Oh well...

I hope they can deliver on most of what I want. Get rid of the 4.75" factory block. Give me 2-2.5" of lift, ride better, and carry the weight of my trailers. The last part is the sketchy part. They will be built to handle more weight than the springs they typically build for the 2nd gens, but Ill still probably have to use Timbrens or air bags. Just the way it is.

There is more body roll, but thats to be expected when you cut the rate of the sway bar in half. If I want to I can drill more holes in the arms closer to the sway bar and increase its rate, or get a slightly thicker bar.

After a while you dont notice the handling difference. I ran Thuren coils which are a softer than stock rate with no sway bar on another truck, and got used to it pretty quick. It does make it nice to enter drive ways and help absorb pot holes even on an other wise stock suspension.

I did have a chance to get the Firepunk Valve Body installed over the week end. Unfortunately it didnt help with my 3->2 down shift, or rather lack there off.

I do prefer the Firepunk Valve Body over the Revmax Valve Body though. Smother crisper shifts, and no binding on the 2-3 up shift. It also shifts in to over driver smoother, locks up smoother, and before I had a shudder locked up in OD. Its better than it was, but still present.

After talking to Paul at Firepunk I tired a few things to get a 3-2 down shift as I slowed down. Adjusting the TV cable, and tweaking the bracket on the trans. Neither of those helped, just delayed the 1-2 shift making it hang till about 25-27mph.

What did work that was suggested, was creating tension on the TV cable at an idle position. I did this with a spring. It did get the truck to down shift to 2nd but would still hang on the 1-2 shift. I couldnt find a happy medium though.

After talking to Lavon today apparently this is a "common" issue on 98-99 trucks and 02 trucks. It has to do with the way the PCM commands duty cycle from the governor solenoid. It governor pressure stays high as speed drops to where it should shift in to 2nd gear, it just never really will with out really jacking up TV pressure. And theres really nothing we can do about it since you cant reprogram the PCM....

IF governor pressure is dropping like it should then we should be able to mess with the 2-3 shift spring tension and get it to down shift like it should.

I just need to swap my sensor from the line pressure port to the governor pressure port to see what is actually happening. I monitor line pressure through my Edge Insight now so the swap will be easy :)

I do want to say this about Lavon. When Paul put him on the phone to discuss this with me I fully expected Lavon to go though about what was going on, potential fixes if any; quickly, be short and to the point, and get off the phone. And not because I have any reason to believe thats the kind of guy he is, but rather because hes a really busy dude! Which would have been fine.

Instead what I got, was a guy who took his time, was patient with my questions was happy to share is knowledge and i felt generally wanted to help me fix the issue. We even went on to talk about the Anteater and VP UDC tuning for a couple minutes. So thank you to Lavon and his team. Im glad I made the switch!

Not a whole lot really. He hasnt had a ton of time to work with it. At the time the only VP truck he had in to mess with was one with a Monster pump.

IF! I understood him correctly he was very hopeful for it and felt like full control was there. He just needed someone to come in that wanted to spend the money on tuning...

Did he mention an approximate cost for the UDC setup with tuning? I would love to see what he could do with my truck, see if it could run smooth!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

They don't like Danny over on CF, how do you like the long arms, I have the 2 gen 6" kit from DOR as well as the torsion sway bar for my 97 I'm getting ready to install soon. I guess DOR had quite the battle over there so anyone who talks, uses or asks about them the Nazi's flip out. comp D is the only really good forum now a day's, as far as I'm concerned, CF is all about there buddy's and who pays or gives to the mod's. There have been a lot of ppl who have been thrown out for posting builds using his and a few other's parts. As you've seen.

Not a whole lot really. He hasnt had a ton of time to work with it. At the time the only VP truck he had in to mess with was one with a Monster pump.

IF! I understood him correctly he was very hopeful for it and felt like full control was there. He just needed someone to come in that wanted to spend the money on tuning...

In the thread where the monster pump truck was mentioned he said someone was supposed to come in with a stock pump truck. Must be they got a bit of sticker shock.

Well y our have to buy the full smarty touch setup which is a grand then pay for the dongle and then someone to tune it and then your still stuck with a vp

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back