Considering trading, Jetta for 335D

SPEEDSHIFT

So my Jetta has treated me great, has had minimal issues but I would really like something nicer and an auto trans as I sit in traffic for about 30mins a day. I keep hearing about these BMW 335D cars and have found some really nice ones semi local for about $10-$13k.

I am looking for someone with experience with these cars and the operational costs. I want something nicer than the Jetta, but still very affordable to own. If it is going to cost me as much or close to a pickup, ill just buy a newer truck.

So, for the guys that own a 335D was it worth it?

They are retarded expensive to repair, let alone mod. They are wicked nice though. If you're wealthy, I say go for it.

They are retarded expensive to repair, let alone mod. They are wicked nice though. If you're wealthy, I say go for it.

I ran some numbers last night and it wouldn't save me any money over driving my truck. I would rather drive a nice diesel truck than any luxury car, the only reason I considered a car was to save money on fuel.

I think I will just keep saving and investing in my other projects so I can buy a truck like the 20 year old kid down the street has. :kick:

Buy an extended warranty!

Wouldn't buy a used BMW without one! Parts are $$$$!

I'm not saying these two are the exact same, but I heard the same thing about Audi's before I got into them. Turns out they're not expensive at all as long as you do your own work. I did have to swap a high pressure fuel pump cam follower every 40k and ti costs $40, and the timing belt I did every 80k (service was supposed to be 115k, but was being safe) and that was $350.

I found sites like genuineaudiparts.com and Europa Tuning that sell OEM and OEM+ stuff for cheap.

All in all, I put 100k on my last one, and only lost ~$500 in parts and $4000 on price (purchase vs selling price). I was very happy with it.

I was just in a 2013 Sport Package 135 on Wednesday (buddy just picked one up) and those seats are the most comfy seats I've ever sat in. I wish they were in my truck.

That Nav sucks, but everything else is super nice in those.

Wife loves her X5. Parts are steep unless you buy online. I've used Pelican Parts if you want to see how bad parts are priced. We had it a week before the tune went on, so I'm not sure how they drive like without a tune.

Our guesstimate was the BMW diesel would cost an average of $1k in parts per year of ownership. It's been a year and I've put in $600. $200 was 100k mi service maintenance. $400 was a belt, idler, tensioner and swaybar end links.

It's a world of difference between the X5 and the Jetta she was driving. Fit, finish and the electronics not being stupid are the biggest differences.

Wife loves her X5. Parts are steep unless you buy online. I've used Pelican Parts if you want to see how bad parts are priced. We had it a week before the tune went on, so I'm not sure how they drive like without a tune.

Our guesstimate was the BMW diesel would cost an average of $1k in parts per year of ownership. It's been a year and I've put in $600. $200 was 100k mi service maintenance. $400 was a belt, idler, tensioner and swaybar end links.

It's a world of difference between the X5 and the Jetta she was driving. Fit, finish and the electronics not being stupid are the biggest differences.

When I bought my x6 m I new what In was getting in to, and have zero regrets.

With that said, cost of insurance on BMW can suck!

Love my 335d. I think one of my threads is shown above. Maintenance cost aren't much different than any other newer car if you do the work yourself. I drive the hell out of it, and have averaged 30.5 mpg over the last 8 tanks of fuel (stock it did about 40 per tank). Insurance cost is higher if you have full coverage.

I was looking at used 335ds versus a new or low mileage 1st Gen Cruze Diesel when we decided our Jetta TDI needed to go. I chose to go with a low mileage certified pre-owned Cruze with only 4100 miles on the clock, and it has been agreat car. But I'm sure the Bimmer would have been a much more enjoyable car, but would have also been more expensive all the way around including, insurance, maintenance and fuel use...

But honestly, not I am considering upgrading from the Cruze to a Colorado ZR2 with the mini-Duramax!!! I would love one of those and the fuel mileage I got when I tested the Z71 Colorado Duramax was pretty good! It also is more roomy than the Cruze and has the bed too...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/bmw-diesels-discontinued-us-2019/

Just saw this recently, no more Mercedes or bmw diesels in the US is how it appears.

Honestly it's a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

This all stims back to the Volkswagon stuff, and recently the crosshairs overseas in automakers has been incredibly sighted in. Frankly these companies are afraid so slowing production, and halting on others.

This Summer the CEO of Audi was arrested over it, and BMW headquarters were raided by govt officials. Both within weeks of each other.

Audi CEO arrested in Germany over diesel emissions scandal - The Washington Post

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/business/energy-environment/bmw-diesel-emissions.html

You can find really nice X5D suvs with 40-50k on them for only around 20k. Originally 70k+.

Last edited:
Back