Are big singles the future?

You need horsepower to move your vehicle.

To think tractors, trains, semis, and actual working livestock have had it wrong all these centuries.

Horsepower is the rate of acceleration for an object.

Torque is the ability to move and sustain said motion of an object.

Therefore horsepower is a byproduct of torque.

I like the saying, horsepower is how fast you can hit the wall, but torque is how far you move the wall after you hit it..

How about.... horsepower is the ability to do work, but torque is how much work you can actually do....Or BIG TORQUE MATTERS.....

How about.... horsepower is the ability to do work, but torque is how much work you can actually do....Or BIG TORQUE MATTERS.....

A skinny hot chick doesn't cook and costs you money, a big girl does it all an the laundry?

That and "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" make me laugh. Whenever it's uttered I immediately know that I'm dealing with someone that has no clue what they're talking about.

Ever wonder why the ET calculators use HP and not TORQUE?

To think tractors, trains, semis, and actual working livestock have had it wrong all these centuries.

Horsepower is the rate of acceleration for an object.

Torque is the ability to move and sustain said motion of an object.

Therefore horsepower is a byproduct of torque.

Not exactly.

Horsepower is a function of torque and rpm. Both are equally important. Double either and HP doubles. Double both and HP quadruples.

Shift points match the horsepower curve, not the torque curve, ever wonder why?

That and "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" make me laugh. Whenever it's uttered I immediately know that I'm dealing with someone that has no clue what they're talking about.

Ever wonder why the ET calculators use HP and not TORQUE?

Not exactly.

Horsepower is a function of torque and rpm. Both are equally important. Double either and HP doubles. Double both and HP quadruples.

Not understanding what point you're trying to make.

I gave simple definitions of what the 2 are, there's no arguing those facts. Anyways.... here's for you to better understand, because your clearly that guy you described as not knowing what your talking about.

"Torque*is most needed while moving a vehicle from the stand-still and/or climbing a slope. Similarly, heavier is the vehicle or a vehicle with full rated load requires the higher amount of torque to pull it and get it moving. In a conventional engine, the*horsepower*governs vehicle’s top speed (thru’*gear ratios) whereas torque controls its acceleration/pick-up. The rate of acceleration also depends on the vehicle’s*weight*and the ‘load’ carried by the vehicle."

Engine Torque: What is Torque? Characteristics, Definition Formula-CarBikeTech

Not exactly.

And the HP curve is calculated from the TQ curve. Can't just spin it to 10k and expect to make awesome HP, the engine needs to produce some tq up there (obviously less than you need at 5k like you are getting at). Being that HP is a function of said tq, the shift points will match BOTH

Last edited:
I accept your surrender

You're getting there, but not quite...

Guy, your so high on your own truffle butter even I'm embarrassed for you!

The fundamentals of power are surrounded by the properties of torque.

Without torque, you have no horsepower.

Difference is the rate of climb for the torque. This allows the true power component of a motor overcome load and in return acceleration takes place. Acceleration is the measurement defined by horsepower.

Good gaaaaawd! Just look at dynos. They measure how FAST the drum spins whoch is HP, while torque is calculated off the balancer in some instances and not just a formula.

Please back away from the keyboard and please don't ever travel south of the US border, we're trying to keep your kind and IQ level out of the lower 48.

You know, like your favorite person Trump says.... #MAGA

Last edited:
Listening to the whole "torque vs hp" argument feels like arguing between the difference between democrats and liberals sometimes....;)

Allan I think you tune or play with tuning on class 8 trucks.. when was the last time you adjusted horsepower curve in a file? Also your truck probably has 480hp at lets say 1900 +- rpm and peak torque at about 1500rpm when you hit a big hill or a long steep grade notice where the tach settles in ? I bet around 1500 where peak torque is... you may get a run at the hill with the horsepower but when it settles in its the torque doing the work.

Back