Running Boards...Whatcha using?

12valve95

Comp Diesel Sponsor
OK guys...I would like to have the Amp Research fold away ones but I can't spend $1500 right now on boards and I am tired of jumping in and out of this truck.

I am about 300lbs so what boards are you guys using that are solid and cheap?

Cheap meaning sub 4-$500. I don't wanna spend a ton on something I will be replacing later in the year.

Form mostly with the ability to not snap under my fat a$$

We do a TON of these in a fleet application where safety is paramount. Self cleaning. They're tuff.

StackPath

There are thousands of options tbh. Lots of chinesium tubular styles for half the price. They just dont have good grip etc.

I've got the NFab ones and they only mount to the body. I can hear them creek a little when I hop in. I'm 190 lbs for reference. Also, the coating on them is garbage. I'll be stripping and repainting them this summer (literally the only rusty thing on my truck). Anyways, I like the style, construction, step placement, and price. They're pretty cheap.

I'd see if you can't find some, and weld mounts to bolt onto your frame. I bet you could find rusty ones, for cheap! I like everything else about them. And Weathertech molded mud flaps fit in front of them.

$425 - N-Fab D0984CC Gloss Black Crew Cab

Last edited:
Damn they sure are proud of some of those running boards!

Agreed!!

Sootie I like those but I don't wanna spend that kinda money for something non permanent.

I was really looking at the NFab but If I have to fab brackets, strip and repaint, I may as well make the whole damn thing lol

I was really looking at the NFab but If I have to fab brackets, strip and repaint, I may as well make the whole damn thing lol

I do agree. I got mine for just under $300, and if it was full price, I probably would have done some myself.

If there's a 4wheelparts near you, you could try them out. I know they're supposed to be good for over 300 lbs.
And you could easily scuff and clear them brand new. It'd probably only take an hour or so.

Why not surf craigslist for a set of chrome nerf bars that someone took off a truck just like yours?
Seems most cool folks are taking them off rather than putting them on these days.

I do agree. I got mine for just under $300, and if it was full price, I probably would have done some myself.

If there's a 4wheelparts near you, you could try them out. I know they're supposed to be good for over 300 lbs.
And you could easily scuff and clear them brand new. It'd probably only take an hour or so.

Nfabs used to be made around the corner from me and know the owner in passing. I ran their 3 step setup on my old megacab, and wouldn't hesitate to run the again.

I’d deffinetly buy some that mount to the body mounts, not the rocker panels.then again, in Minnesota most trucks don’t have rocket panels lol

I’d deffinetly buy some that mount to the body mounts, not the rocker panels.then again, in Minnesota most trucks don’t have rocket panels lol

I had to go to Texas to find one that did! :lolly:
BTW, I've been pretty damn happy with my Zeibart undercoating and rust prevention. It's not hard to get coated bolts off either, because I've had plenty apart since last year.

I had to go to Texas to find one that did! :lolly:
BTW, I've been pretty damn happy with my Zeibart undercoating and rust prevention. It's not hard to get coated bolts off either, because I've had plenty apart since last year.

You must have a better Ziebart place than we do. Here they pretty much spray the underside with coating randomly and call it a day. They spray over dirt and everything else. We had two vehicles done and the coating was pretty much gone after 1 winter. I am sure it is like anything though and varies a lot by location.

You must have a better Ziebart place than we do. Here they pretty much spray the underside with coating randomly and call it a day. They spray over dirt and everything else. We had two vehicles done and the coating was pretty much gone after 1 winter. I am sure it is like anything though and varies a lot by location.

They started by cleaning my truck better than I ever could. Heated pressure washer while on a hoist, and hit it all with a scrub brush. Then they taped and sprayed everything. I was really impressed. They even got the shock bodies and all around the coil springs. I ended up just dropping my wife's car off when I picked up my truck, and it's held up really well. I live a few miles down a dirt road and that hasn't even touched it.

Back