he351 upgrades?

there's a GREAT upgrade that fleece makes for the 351, its called a cheetah VGT :hehe:

port the wastegate passage out. i did that on mine, seemed to flow alittle better on top end. boost droped about 3-4 pounds at WOT. egts were down alittle to. other then that why not just buy another turbo??

yea i would love that cheeta vgt! i'v got a external gate to go in , so i'm not concerned about porting the wastegate passage seeing as it will be welded shut lol

port the wastegate passage out. i did that on mine, seemed to flow alittle better on top end. boost droped about 3-4 pounds at WOT. egts were down alittle to. other then that why not just buy another turbo??

yup yup! that's the best thing you can do with a a little HE... any more time/money spent on them just isn't worth it IMO

How big can you go on the waste gate passage? I have to run the stock 341 on my truck for a while with 45% EH nozzles and I'd like to cool it down as much as I can. I thought I read somewhere where people were drilling them out to 1"?

yea i would love that cheeta vgt! i'v got a external gate to go in , so i'm not concerned about porting the wastegate passage seeing as it will be welded shut lol

That's exactly what I did. I've heard I.I. can put a 62mm compressor in there, but it would be hard to get rid of all that air through a 58mm turbine and 9cm housing I think.

You can open the waste gate passage up to 27mm or roughly 1-1/16" I believe the actual puck that covers the passage is roughly 1-3/16".

Cost prohibition

Yeah, it's called a 35/40 hybrid!

Maybe the most useless post so far.

I think those interested want two things from this:

1. Why it's useless to upgrade a 351 with facts to support why (divoid of opinions)
2. Where to get the components to upgrade?

Maybe it wasn't completely useless. You're demonstrating exactly why someone would want to upgrade. Just like a hybrid, you could throw in a 62mm wheel and a slightly bigger housing and be running a nice huffer for less than what a 300 costs, and without having to mod a bunch of stuff to make it fit.

Maybe the most useless post so far.

Why? He's essentially telling you what you'll more or less end up with if you modify the he351, at least exhaust housing wise.

I think those interested want two things from this:

1. Why it's useless to upgrade a 351 with facts to support why (divoid of opinions)
2. Where to get the components to upgrade?

I think some of you guys need to look around here a bit more. There was discussion on here in the CR section about a shop who was doing some upgrades to the he351s. From what I remember from the thread, it sounded like it mainly consisted of a turbine and exhaust housing swap to hx40 parts.

At that point, why not just buy an hx40 or s300?

Modified Stock Turbo - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

The HE351cw is a great turbo for what it is. Its cheap, it cools pretty good, and it spools awesome. But basically, once you start wanting more, you are better off to sell it, or take it off, and move on to something like a 62/68/14 or however big you want to go.

Also, I personally dont think the exhaust housing size is near as much of a restriction as most people seem to think it is....

I have ran an HX35, an HX35 w/16cm housing, a 58mm HX40/16cm T-3 gated housing, and my stock HE351cw.

My EGT's are very noticeably lower with this HE351 than with any of the turbo's I had before, even though all of them had bigger exhaust housings, especially the HX40.

So, at what point does exhaust flow even become an issue? I havent seen anything that shows the 9cm as being a huge restriction other than some speculation. I dont think it would hurt if the housing was a little bigger, but my spoolup and EGT's are the best they have ever been with this fueling setup, and I dont think that the exhaust housing is choking it much at all. If the exhaust side was a big restriction, then I would have noticed it going from the HX40 to the HE351cw, but instead performance seemed very similar, but with much better spoolup, and EGT's.

Also, if you were really wanting to modify an HE351, just run an external wastegate. You can always reuse it if you swap turbo's, and you keep the spoolup of the smaller housing.

Eric

Any benefits to clipping the wheel on a 351?

Seeing as in the stock form that charger will support 500hp I think they are pretty damn good.

in my mind the he351 is a superior turbo compared to a hx40, hx 35/40. i'v heard from many it will out flow a hx40 with faster spool up. the intent of this thread was simply to find out if anyone had tryed different size wheels or housings. i meen if i can put a 68mm turbine in , and a 62mm compressor in wouldn't it be a sweet budget turbo?

Here is a better question, has anyone ever snapped a shaft or over sped/exploded a wheel on one?

i seem to recall a guy snapping one running nos on a third gen, but other then that i havent head of anything. i'm not gunna take the chance with mine, thats why i'm going to run a external gate.

Back