Biodiesel in 12v's

00Powerstroke

About to start making biodiesel with me and my brother's home built custom setup. I planning on doing a fummins build this winter/spring and if i do I would run Biodiesel in my truck so I was curious if the 12valves like the biodiesel?

12-valves will take most sludge (fuel) you pump into them in stride. It depends on the quality of fuel and how comfortable you are running questionable fuel sources (again fuel type and quality).

Bio right in the tank shouldn't be any probably as long as its decent quality.

I know a guy who has run straight WVO in his 500hp(ish) 12-valve for three year with no issues. He gets good quality WVO and also has a high quality WVO system. Plenty of heaters, starts on diesel, then switches to WVO when the engines (and WVO) are up to temp, purges, and switches back to diesel before shut down.

Plenty of people also run waste motor oil, hydraulic fluid, ATF, etc. in their engines. Again, that is a comfort thing. Who knows what comes in fuel sources like that (metal shavings, clutch material for example), unless you filter the living chit out of it.

I am going to run my generators used oil in my 12-valve this week.

Last edited:
i run straight home made biodiesel in my 96 p-pump 9 months out of the year or when i have it and all i did to the truck was take the water removing filter off because colder weather the factory filter does not like it and the same thing in my vp44 now on the fourth year no problems with either truck yet

I ran 70% WMO this summer and it ran great. Quieter actually. I was filtering it down to 10mic and have stopped since it beginning to get colder out and I just did some power upgrades.

Biodiesel will CLEAN up anything in it's path and send it right through your fuel system and clog your filter in no time (heard of it doing this within 500 miles on heavy percentages). So when you do start to run it, just be sure to keep an extra filter (or two) and some tools in case you have a clogged filter away from home!

Ive been running B20 in both my 2000 7.3 and my 1994 12 valve for 8 months with no problems except for a lil decrease in mpg but hardly noticeable. Engines both run quieter and smoother.

Biodiesel when made to ASTM standards will run in any diesel, and in almost all cases will have less maintenance issues. Biodiesel when made poorly will still run in a 12 valve for quite some time before causing any issues. To a rookie making biodiesel for a 12 valve about the only thing you need to worry about is make sure the fuel is #1 washed #2 dried. The third thing i would check for is complete conversion, do this by doing a 3/27 test. 3 parts bio/27 parts methanol. Mix it lightly in a jar. The point of the test is bio will mix with methanol, but oil will not.

the 12v's plus in my experience is that the injection pump can handle it alot better than any other style injection pump. so helps if you mess up with a batch will save you.

Ive run it in mine with no issues, but you have to be careful of a few things when making the fuel.
If you use a water wash you will need to dry the fuel, preferably with a vacuum / heat setup to boil it out. I set up an old water heater and made sure it could take 29" vacuum. Settling and spraying hot didnt seem to do it, I still had high water content.
Water block filter elements can do it, but they soak up the water and clog. And theyre not cheap.
Also youll want to make sure the reaction is good so theres no soap or unreacted oil (makes an emulsion in water wash). That gunk can wind up inside the pump and turn into a plastic-like coating.
Any fuel pressure senders you have may get eaten by the biodiesel.
I ran WVO too, but spent a lot of labor filtering and de-watering it first.

I run B100 in my 12v, no issues, but mine is also double washed, and anally dried, then run through 10micron water seperator, then two 2-micron biodiesel filters.

Wish i'd have seen this thread when it started. I could have been saving almost 100 bucks a month getting B15 from Loves, an extra mile down the road LOL Damn it.

For the guy that mentioned WMO, it's a little different than bio.

We have ran homemade B75 and above in the 12v's since the end of 2007 without any mechanical issues besides changing filters more regularly. We are very meticulous in the processing we do in making sure that there will or should not be any issues. Before the fuel goes in any of the 12v's, it is pumped through two 2-micron filters. At full-tilt, 350 gallons of the french frie juice can be processed in alil over an hour and ready to contianed to allow the chemical reaction to take place in the batch.

Back