12V wet block life

Levi_plummer

Hey guys. Wondering if there are any secrets to making a wet block live.. it will be a factory bore 12V IH block. I was planning on running an sxe488 single fuel only with a2w intercooler and probably water injection to keep temp's down. I have been told around 1,300hp is the limit but really want it to live. The truck will be drove on the street every now and then but primary focus is at the race track. The truck will be setup like a super street truck. Any help is appreciated thanks!

I found lower the compression , and how hard you tie it down to the track plays a lot into it .. we run 1200 with little issues but much more it won't last .. You ran the s488 yet ?

Also building a factory bore wet 12v 488 single setup. I was told to stay around 1200 also but we'll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a filled block and head in my puller and monitor oil temps. Usually I can make two passes within like 15 or 20 minutes or so. To us its totally worth it for the piece of mind and not having to deal with the antifreeze/water/radiator/fans/wiring/water pump etc

I would still like to street drive this truck every now and then. There are some pretty quick street cars around my area. I would like to be able to cruise it on the weekends at least a 45 minute drive one way.

Torque seems to be the true measurement that matters when it comes to breaking blocks. Anything over 2200 ft lbs to the tire is the playing with fire/danger zone, some hold till 2400, some will handle a brief gear change spike to 2800 for a split second, but generally 2200 sustained is a good rule of thumb max limit. If you run a monster turbo system that spools late you can make almost 2000 HP on a wet block. However, once that turbo system is spooled up and you shift gears at the track and it pulls the rpm range down while keeping the turbos lit, it's easy to spike the torque(cylinder pressure) and destroy the block. This is why pullers really struggle with breaking blocks because that evil sled pulls them down into the danger zone at the end of the track. On a drag truck, you can control your shift points and keep the engine out of the danger zone. In pulling you can't do that unless you purposely run a gear ratio that keeps rpm high and you miss out on the true potential of the engine combination. I don't think you'll be able to keep a 488 single lit to a low enough rpm to make enough torque to hurt the block. I'd run that as a single on a wet block drag truck and not worry about it. This is just my opinion, others will likely have different opinions.

I have a filled block and head in my puller and monitor oil temps. Usually I can make two passes within like 15 or 20 minutes or so. To us its totally worth it for the piece of mind and not having to deal with the antifreeze/water/radiator/fans/wiring/water pump etc

What do you want for oil/ block temp when your running like that ?

What do you want for oil/ block temp when your running like that ?

220-240 max oil temp. I do not monitor the actual block temperature. Usually you can drive from the pits to the sled then make a pass and its around 190ish depending on how much idle time you have. I shut it off whenever I'm not moving, on the scale, etc.

I assume for a drag racing application you could make a pass then have someone with a pickup, ATV, UTV, etc, tow you back to your pit area, we do this with my dad's dragster

It's a lot harder to hot lap the trucks when they are not wet. Takes hours between rounds ect. Is a partial fill beneficial? What does the limit go to with a full fill

I have a buddy that drives hours on the interstate with a fully filled block. Doesn't come close to over heating.

My main concern is I don't want to have money tied up in cam bearings and other machine work to crack a block. But building a sleeved 6.7 isn't in my budget for what I plan to do with the truck. If I can Get it to last I will run cam bearings and something like a 230/240 cam. But if it won't last I will get a cast 207/220 or something similar and run it without bearings

I have driven a filled block on the street for 3 years now. I guess I must be doing something wrong since the internet said I cant.

Last edited:
Everyone drastically overestimates how fast filled blocks heat up. A good external oil cooler with big lines and a good fan helps also.

Back