Allison trans questions

cummins.powered

Hey guys recently purchased a ats trans, was told the trans was a stage 5 and turns out that it is not. Ats told me I would just have to replace the shafts the get it to hold what I need it to hold which is around the 900-1000 hp mark. So can the average mechanically inclines guy take the trans apart and install a billet input and billet intermediate shaft without and special tools. Was hoping I could just buy the shafts pull it apart and reassemble exactly how it came apart. Also the trans is a 4xx and I want to swap to a 2wd, I have the tail section and the 2wd output shaft, Do they not make a billet output for the 2wd?

Thanks

Not hard to do at all, but not everyone thinks the same. I'd be leery of anything ATS holding 900-1k HP, billet shafts or not

It will hold it....just not for vary long. Been there, ain't going back. Had the pos copilot and everything. Other than that, the allison isnt terribly complicated. Watch some youtube,buy a book, and keep an eye on the torington bearings(I think I spelled that right.) If you screw up those you'll be pulling the trans after the first test drive.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Well I guess I’ll find out. The truck my conversion is in will end up quite a bit lighter than a full size truck so maybe that will help. And it’s a street truck so it won’t be used to it’s full potential too often Thanks for the comments

I've used Ebay before but I believe there's better versions out there. I'll check a couple other sources and get back to ya

If you want a good book grab one called transmission times from Suncoast. Atsg from Ebay will get it done, just not as much extra info in it.

Back