View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 12:28 AM   #1
mccoywelding

Name: mccoywelding
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Cool 3rd Gen Dodge 3500 Rear Air Ride Build

Alright, Here we go! This is my first post in the forum so let me know if I messed up with anything.

I've decided to completely scrap my rear suspension on my dodge (2008 6.7 Dodge Ram 3500 G56) and build a parallel 4 link kit with air bags. I'm a welder and I'm going to be swapping a dually axle under the truck along with a pretty heavy welding bed, and a Lincoln 300D welder. I'm estimating around 4k pounds on my truck at all times, and I'll also be towing a lot as well and I wan't it to be strong enough that I wont have any problems towing. Doesn't sound too crazy, right? until you think about pulling a loaded 35 ft trailer going 75 mph down the interstate. So i wanna make sure this build is strong and bulletproof. I wanna stay around 4-6" of lift since I'll be working out of my truck and constantly be climbing in the bed all day. I'll be running Fuel Maverick 20" rims with 35" tires for my setup on the dually with a 20x12 rim up front.

Making this post so y'all can keep up with everything that I screw up haha.

Right now I'm pretty much in the finish design and ordering parts stage. In the next week or two I plan on starting the build. Right off the bat I'm blown away with how much I have to learn about air systems and air bags and what weight bags I need and size of bag. This kit is going to be pretty basic, nothing flashy. Although once I finish this I plan on rebuilding something more for looks in the future. most of the reason I'm building this kit is to learn more about suspension systems and also to improve the dodge ride quality.

Here's some pictures of My truck and the welding bed I plan on putting on the truck. The bed is on the way to sandblasting, and then I'm going to be painting it white to match my truck. I also have a picture of the axle when I first picked it up. whole breaking system needed some work and the parking brake shoes were basically welded to the drums so that was fun. The internals were in perfect shape so I cleaned it up painted it black and resealed it. Sadly I did that and didn't get any good pictures.

3FE6A334-.jpg 1A78E0DD-.jpg 0ECA47F0-.jpg ACC19BF9-.jpg E89BA66F-.jpg FullSizeR.jpg

I added a photo of how I plan on plumbing the air system. I don't know much about air systems but from what I read that setup will work. If someone knows more than me please let me know if you think i should change anything!

Hopefully the next week or 2 I get started then I'll give some better description of parts I used and pictures of how its all gonna be set up. Thanks guys.