New 6.70/5.90 drag truck build.

Got any ideas on how your gonna mount the sides? I’m about to start on mine. I can’t decide which way I want to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am just going to mount them with some small 3/4" tubing and mount plates. I am going to run a gutted tailgate and bed cover also, in an attempt to keep these no prep guys from complaining. It will be a big deal if I roll up with a bunch of tube everywhere, even though it will still weigh twice as much as some of those cars.

I have been trying to research carbon fiber plate for the dash, bed cover, and door panels. Jegs has 2x4' sheets of composite carbon fiber for $109 a sheet. I dont know how it would compare to just thin aluminum as far as weight goes. I did weigh the bed sides, 30.2lbs each. I believe the fiberglass sides are 14lbs each, so not a huge weight savings there and I can keep my factory tail lights, along with the fact they are "steel quarters" which is a big deal at some races.

I am just going to mount them with some small 3/4" tubing and mount plates. I am going to run a gutted tailgate and bed cover also, in an attempt to keep these no prep guys from complaining. It will be a big deal if I roll up with a bunch of tube everywhere, even though it will still weigh twice as much as some of those cars.

I have been trying to research carbon fiber plate for the dash, bed cover, and door panels. Jegs has 2x4' sheets of composite carbon fiber for $109 a sheet. I dont know how it would compare to just thin aluminum as far as weight goes. I did weigh the bed sides, 30.2lbs each. I believe the fiberglass sides are 14lbs each, so not a huge weight savings there and I can keep my factory tail lights, along with the fact they are "steel quarters" which is a big deal at some races.

Yea I’d agree with you there I’d like to go that route aswell. I’d say my sides are probably alittle closer to 35-40 but if you figure out something for the cover let me know!

398803a6d28de62426d7a06f08bf8f5b.jpg

5a46169f1e77b13767e327e57cc4a424.jpg

9b0e1c62921abf8014e47580a4fff0aa.jpg

I see the back half just threw itself together. Great progress man.
Looks like that list on the cab is only growing.

I love it, BTTB! my dream truck is a full tube chassis NHRA Pro Stock Truck style cummins...

Thank you sir.

I see the back half just threw itself together. Great progress man.
Looks like that list on the cab is only growing.

Haha! Like I told my wife, this is just the first draft of the pre-list. Just wait until it makes its first pass, that list will be the big one with all the things that need to be changed/fixed. :hehe:

Did you gut the tailgate. Looks like it’s just the outer skin?

Yessir, I will mount it with some quick latches. I have 94lbs in both bedsides, tailgate, and mounting material right now. The tailgate weighed 55lbs in stock form, its at 19lbs right now as a single layer of sheet metal.

Yessir, I will mount it with some quick latches. I have 94lbs in both bedsides, tailgate, and mounting material right now. The tailgate weighed 55lbs in stock form, its at 19lbs right now as a single layer of sheet metal.

I dig it man! I’ve been deciding if I want to run a tailgate on mine or not. Considered doing this as well. Wasn’t sure how it would turn out.

I got the grill and headlights today, so I can finish mounting everything on the front end.

a0b64f94829ba9f38aa7d2c6b476d765.jpg

Don’t paint it. Leave the body panels just like they are. Throw everyone for a loop. A fruit loop.

^^ Possibly truck name?

What's the measurement from the front 4 link mounts to the back face of the block?

Also, what's the crank centerline height from the ground? (Roughly)

Slow progress, but at least it’s something. I got the hood latch/upper rad and intercooler mount bar built and worked on getting the steering shaft mocked up. Turns out I am going to need a steering rod going into the cab. I would say getting these shafts set up properly is the hardest part of a R&P conversion... kinda nerve racking, but it really should be.

9e0b0e1772a836cd8c4bd06b5be03754.jpg

b3bb6dc6f3317bbd50f4ec7d26e111f9.jpg

837b01a3060b365d4aa3b5224a00962f.jpg

1e33ccd9fd4ca0d48d1385b99c083b31.jpg

dc22a6eef1eed9a490916f763d011b2c.jpg

Back