Garrett powermax questions

Feed Bunk

My 04.5 has had a Garrett powermax stage 1 for the last few years. It has ed 50hp injectors and I run a smarty on sw2. The drivability of the thing sucks and keeping egts down can be a challenge especially towing. Its gotten worse the last few months. I was thinking boost leak but can't find it. My next guess was to check the wastegate. The he351 was shot, and we wanted to upgrade was the original reason for switching to the Garrett.

Does anybody have any ideas why we're having troubles with it, also would we be better going back to an he351?

Thanks

If memory serves me right I put one of these on a Ford a few years ago and it was laggy and egts through the roof and it ended up melting the exhaust wheel out of it. Might want to inspect the turbine side

I got ahold of a Garrett stage 1 also some time back, bought it used and needed something quick. The turbine seemed tiny on it, or acted that way. Spooled quick and would make over 50psi on a very mild truck. It acted like a smaller charger than the stock one it replaced. I bet I put over 100k miles on it though, and the guy I sold the truck to is still running it.

After some calling around the stage 1 used a low pressure wastegate. After a test with some compressed air, the wastegate was creeping open at 7psi. We're going to put the correct one on it and try it for now. I'm really wanting to try a modified he351 like the nat or htt, or eventually upgrade to some sort of tow compounds.

Last edited:
Back