View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
GSM-01

Name: GSM-01
Title: Can turn wrenches
Member`s Gallery
Ozark Technical Community College out in Springfield, MO. The electronics base is really not that strong at PCT, or at least as strong as they say it is. OTC is right down the road from Peterbuilt of MO and they have made some big contributions to the place. Its pretty much like PCT for less money, better equipment and in a redneck area. Its costing me the same to go to OTC plus rent plus other living expenses as it does for just tuition at PCT. I guess the main thing is what do you want to do. I work on higher performance engines so the basics that PCT taught were not what I needed. I knew how a diesel works, I didn't need to be taught that. Doc Johnson is about the nicest teacher there. He used to work with drag cars all the time and still does. Buddy Greevy (Don't ever call him buddy) is a bi-polar ahole. I grew up our him and needless to say, it hasn't been a joy living near him or a student for him. Not only that but I caught him in the teachers lounge making out with his gf (who is about 20 yrs younger) and had to figure out how to tell his wife what happened since I'm friends with her.... Mark Sones is an ok guy. Just do what he says and try to get along with him and your fine. Scott Welch, well, we call him the movie man. I saw "Ice Road Truckers" 4 times in one semester for hydraulics just because the guys like the show so much. The longest class I had with him was about 21mins (we kept track) He's a brilliant man, mother and father are both nerosurgens, and it shows. Flies planes like no one business but just doesn't really care that much about teaching. After that, it goes downhill and the problem is half are retiring after this semester. Mr. Appleman, Papa Zell along with a few others are just ridiculous. For Appleman, his grading system was just wrong. At the end of the semester all the higer score you coudl get was a B, but you could get a -80% if you didn't do well in his class. The dean of PCT finally had it with him which is why he is retiring after this semester. Papa Zell, he just thought we were all supposed to know electronics. I don't knwo how many times I electricuted myself in his class because of the "My way or no way" saying but I still got a few scars from it. I know your going to have some ****ty teachers and some good teachers but for someone that already knows diesel engines, its not the school for ya IMHO. I want training in OBDIII and other modern electronics, they don't even have OBDII at PCT. Kilcyone is another teacher that does it his own way. If you can stay awake for one of his entire classes, you'd be the first. He only has classes early in the morn and when you walk in he turns out the lights and show you slides all day long, usually for 4 hrs since thats how long his class is. What instructors did you talk to when you were there? Who was your guide while you were there also? Might help me figure out what load they planted in your head.