SRT hood scoop went bye bye

blackmega3500

So what does cold dense air, 115mph, and poorly designed Chrysler parts leave you with....

An ugly phucking hole in you hood! Although underhood temps are great!!!! Lol

20171205_123335.jpg

Sunofa***** just flew right off... made a couple passes back around the freeway looking for it and nope, couldn't locate.

The oem replacements are $300 no matter where you look which is just insane, so fabbing my own!

Last edited:
I can see if I can find a used one if you want.. although a fabbed one would be sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it looks like my SRT hood will forever be in storage, if that's the case.
Who designs a part that's unable to take 115 mph passes? ;)

Mark.

Been smokin those 22.5's.

Lmao....

Actually so worn right now my wife doesn't like it in the rain, understandably so..... I temporarily justify it as "highway slicks". They definitely need to be changed!

The biggest bummer was I had a lot of rpm to give being only round 24-2500.

Last edited:
Mines been fine to 130+

Yeah, I've never seen it happen. All over the actual SRT ram gassed forums though. Definitely make sure the bolts are tight, and maybe add some silicone sealant!

One guy said his flew up and shattered his windshield. F that!

Last edited:
Looks like the four plastic tabs on the front just ripped right off! Maybe just put a piece of tape over the leading edge before running. I bet wind got under that lip and started pulling pretty hard.

Looks like the four plastic tabs on the front just ripped right off! Maybe just put a piece of tape over the leading edge before running. I bet wind got under that lip and started pulling pretty hard.

This is exactly my thought!

There's also 4 bolt that hold the back part down, but yanked right out.

Well considering the SRT hood is basically a giant wind sail and I don't feel like wasting over $300 for a poorly designed piece of plastic.....

I've decided to do something different.....

20171210_150249.jpg

20171210_150244.jpg

Using 28ga steel and plasma cutting the lettering put which will serve as hood venting and air inlet for maintaining cooler underhood temps, and plan on back laying the lettering with mesh that matches the grill.

20171210_135115.jpg

20171210_143217.jpg

If I recall on the viper truck forum somebody was making these scoops inlets out of carbon fiber.

And yes the srt hoods are good for helping expell engine bay heat. This was told to me from one guy who was part of the aerodynamic testing on the prototypes. I was gonna do the srt hood on my tube truck, after speaking to that engineer, we changed plans.

If I recall on the viper truck forum somebody was making these scoops inlets out of carbon fiber.

And yes the srt hoods are good for helping expell engine bay heat. This was told to me from one guy who was part of the aerodynamic testing on the prototypes. I was gonna do the srt hood on my tube truck, after speaking to that engineer, we changed plans.

Yeah it acts like more of a parachute and increases drag instead of the opposite. I'd put money on it that all the race trucks that run an open scoop srt10 hood would shave some time off using a standard sealed hood.

This may have been one of the threads you were thinking of.

Hood scoop insert - Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America

Last edited:
Back