He351cw swap help!

J-Pipes

In the process of swapping the turbo on my truck, we have everything apart ready to put the he351cw on. Problem is that I'm trying to get the exhaust housing off so I can clock the oil feed/drain right, and it won't come. Looking for suggestions on what to do, we were trying to tap it with hammer/chisel and have now chipped a little piece off, so I'm looking for different suggestions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yeah, problem with that is in drove the truck to my brother in laws to use his garage, really be huge if I can finish today. We did just get it to start moving though, so I may be good. Thanks for the reply.

New issue, got the exhaust housing off, have the snap ring out of the back side of the compressor cover, but can't get the center section to rotate in the compressor cover.

Got it all apart, pin removed, mating surfaces cleaned, and all together on the truck! Except for one boot to hook the turbo to the i/c piping. Thanks for the response, I was getting a little worried, took more persuasion than I'd imagined to get it all apart is all.

I got it all together. I was actually thinking about making something like that SD pipe, think I know a guy with a tubing bender, going to give him a call, might try to bend a one piece tube up.
On a positive note, on the drive home from my brother-in-laws, it seemed to peak about 300 degrees cooler with about 5psi more boost for normal cruising. Didn't lean on it much, not real confident in my cold piping setup.

Last edited:
Hopefully, didn't order any new ones. I've read about spraying them with hairspray, was wondering if a generic spray adhesive is too much?

I've never used anything but a little brake clean to make sure the boots and pipes are clean. Used to see 60+ with a different turbo and never blew one off.

I didn't try an original but should work just fine. I had an extra stainless diesel boot from my 3rd gen I used.

IMG_1586_zpska9zfjaa.jpg

IMG_1588_zpsjhgptrxj.jpg

Everything is back together, and seems to be working great. Had small orders from two shops to complete the project. The first was an exhaust flange from keating machine, outstanding customer service, called me back after hours on a Friday, heading into a holiday weekend even! The second was the intercooler pipe from stainless diesel, came in a few days, fits great, exactly what I needed, but, the customer service was lacking, never did get a return to my call, or email.

Back