Help from some electrical pro's

Ram12vcummins

Well my beta mig 170 blew a capacitor doing some heavy welding.

Top is old one and bottom is new one that I could find handed to me by someone who claims to know what their doing.

My question is will it work in place of the old one? Do I need to keep searching?

6ba263d017374567c98d92538dcc2ced.jpg

I think it is fine, it exceeds the voltage rating of the other, it does have a little more capacitance. However if I remember correctly the capacitance is determined at the rated voltage, so it closer yet.

Hi there - I see you have a high level electrical question. No worries, I'm a certified electrician with an online degree from google.com. To help me process your question could you please confirm if both flux capacitors have the same jiggawatts?

Hi there - I see you have a high level electrical question. No worries, I'm a certified electrician with an online degree from google.com. To help me process your question could you please confirm if both flux capacitors have the same jiggawatts?

They are both blue... hope that helps.

I'm waiting for doc to get back to me on that lol

I think it is fine, it exceeds the voltage rating of the other, it does have a little more capacitance. However if I remember correctly the capacitance is determined at the rated voltage, so it closer yet.

I was thinking the same on the voltage side.

They are both blue. So.... almost has to work.

Blue and physical the same size. Maybe some brakleen would perl the numbers off then they would be identical.....

I peed on myself the last time I messed with a cap. Involuntarily

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I'm not an electrical expert, but have been learning about capacitance this summer via AC condenser repairs and welding machines. (Not by choice)

The replacement capacitor you have will work for your welding machine. Biggest thing you want to match up or exceeds is the microfarads. (uF)
Your voltage is closely matched or higher which is fine, and the physical size is the same. As long as the lugs on top are what you need, use it. (Correct me if I'm wrong Jory)

My dad and I just replaced all 6 capacitors on his old Miller 35s mig welder. Three of them blew at once, which was a little frightening. The machine actually welds better now that we have replaced them.

It'll work. It has a higher capacitance and a higher voltage rating....but for all general purposes....just about the same. #SendIt.

I'll have to pm him. I thought he'd see by now he usually pretty active on here.

I am...but not on my "free time," only during business hours. :hehe:

They are both blue. So.... almost has to work.

Spoken like a true....plumber.

It's 1.21 jiggawatts to be exact.

I'm curious how old those are. The electrolyte evaporates. What do caps that size have for rupture ports?

It'll work. It has a higher capacitance and a higher voltage rating....but for all general purposes....just about the same. #SendIt.

The one that went was furthest from the fan. See any benefit to changing all three? Even if I have to use higher rated caps.

I'm curious how old those are. The electrolyte evaporates. What do caps that size have for rupture ports?

Looks to be one on top.

Back