Ford 271 To 47rh

chadc

So i swapped the ford 271 stock input for a 29 spline dodge input shaft put new seals in transfer case sealed everything up and it was good to go. Bolted it up to my 47rh and started filling fluid in the transmission and it is gushing out of where the transmission and transfer case meet. Is there a seal on the transmission i need to change out for the new shaft?

Some places make that wet if I'm understanding where you are talking about. If so it needs a gasket.

I didnt think the 47rh shared fluid with the transfer case? Mainly because of the weep hole in the case i just assumed that. I may be wrong

Last edited:
I just did the swap. Did you put a new seal in the transmission? I drove a new one only about half way in. The transfer case input shaft doesn't engage very far into the seal. Down the road I think I am going to cut the transmission seal bore back some and put an adapter to push the seal out some so it engages further up the input shaft on the transfer case.

That makes sense i haven't touched the seal it's a newer trans but I'll definitely check that out. Pulling everything apart again tomorrow

So i swapped the ford 271 stock input for a 29 spline dodge input shaft put new seals in transfer case sealed everything up and it was good to go. Bolted it up to my 47rh and started filling fluid in the transmission and it is gushing out of where the transmission and transfer case meet. Is there a seal on the transmission i need to change out for the new shaft?

The stock spline on a 47rh is 23 spline, the 29 spline is for the manual trans or the fat output shaft upgrade for a 47re.

I was wrong I'm working with a 23 spline. The seal is all the way at the edge of the housing in the transmission and it's riding on the taper of the transfer case input shaft. It's like the input shaft is just a little too short...

Does your t case input you installed have the plug in the back side of it? Looks kinda like a freeze plug.

I honestly can't remember. Put it in a few months ago. Lavon at firepunk helped me come up with a solution of using a seal extension that comes with a clocking kit. So kudos to him! Should be in business when it arrives

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
9e4750686597e489da6735e025705dca.jpg

Last edited:
I honestly can't remember. Put it in a few months ago. Lavon at firepunk helped me come up with a solution of using a seal extension that comes with a clocking kit. So kudos to him! Should be in business when it arrives

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
9e4750686597e489da6735e025705dca.jpg

Did it work?

I can't keep mine from leaking. I need to do some measurements but it looks like it put the seal too far back into the transfer case. Looks like I would have to machine some off the transmission side to center it up on the transfer case input shaft.

I realize this IS about the NV271s, but...

FYI, in case you guys didn't know.
The '94-'95 Cummins/V-10 241DLD and HD 23 spline t-cases, used behind 47RHes, had a much longer input than 'the '96-up versions.

Those t-cases can be very hard to source and though the input can be had in the aftermarket, there are some different configurations for bearing sizes and snap ring locations.

Mark.

Last edited:
I realize this IS about the NV271s, but...

FYI, in case you guys didn't know.
The '94-'95 Cummins/V-10 241DLD and HD 23 spline t-cases, used behind 47RHes, had a much longer input than 'the '96-up versions.

Those t-cases can be very hard to source and though the input can be had in the aftermarket, there are some different configurations for bearing sizes and snap ring locations.

Mark.

Good point Mark, there is quite a few configurations for the 241DLD and 241DHD transfer cases. Early, late, short, long, spline count, etc..

The 271 just has one style Dodge 23 spline input that I am aware of because it came behind the 48RE from 2003-2007.

Back