Right hand feed and breather issues/questions

I have the two lines running from the vc to a catch can at the moment. I started building a larger one with more ports. Plan on returning the oil back to the pan as well.

That's the style I'd like to run in my valve cover. How are those attached and are they baffled?
Moroso sells a kit with a baffled tube and clamp on style filter like that I was thinking about ordering. I don't know how well that cover will weld but I see some guys have welded an fittings in for hoses

non baffled and they are just push in breathers into valve cover grommits.

I got a blurry picture of my setup. On photobucket and I'll post it as soon as I get to computer that will let me.

Thanks Jacob. Pump and injectors are sent off! Now to figure out the right hand feed. I ordered a banjo fitting that goes to 4 an. Hoping I can get that to work

How about running the breather tubes to the down pipe with a one way check valve like we're on the AIR pumps for smog engines in the late 80's- mid 90's?

I don't think I want to plumb it into the exhaust. I feel like that would create a mess from what I've read. I'm thinking that I'm going to use the fuel port for an extra vent and run a catch can. I'd love to make it drain back into the motor but I'm about out of real estate under the hood to mount it.

I have a Fab Four bumper and have been thinking that's where I'm going to mount the catch can. Easiest spot to get to so I can drain it.

I've had in mind to run a catch can with a electric shutoff valve on the bottom. When running, it's powered up the drain is shut off. When power is taken away from it, it allows oil to drain back into the engine via a hose to the block.

20160821_120447_zpsgwidibx8.jpg

my 99 fummins is setup with 2 vents one in the front cover and 1 in the tappet cover
but you can also use the fuel pump hole too

20160614_2240401_zps9qwt9nge.jpg

20140725_1108351_zpsa2e261c8.jpg

20160614_2240331_zpszbdeuotx.jpg

20160612_1955581_zpsrv83jyb2.jpg

Thanks for the pictures guys. I didn't see any issue with the factory tappet seal so I decided to leave it and not spend the coin for a billet one. I am going to tap the fuel pump plate and and run the hoses back to about the transfer case and see how that works for now. I got my pump back from Seth and plan on getting it back together this weekend.

Now I just need to figure out the right hand feed. I guess my question is does the fitting still need to be restricted for the factory location on the pump?

Also big thanks to Weston for going over my injectors that were built by someone else. We found some issues with them hopefully taking care of my idle and low rpm miss.

Truck is back up and running! I can't get the picture of the fitting to load but I used a banjo style to 4 jic fitting. I installed it on the pump before mounting and connected the line. Then I took my flapper wheel and there was some casting numbers on the log and just pretty much took the numbers off not much deeper.

Then I mounted the pump. Reached under and connected the line to the Tee off the block. After mounted I could slide a buisness card between the banjo and the head and called it good.

I tapped the fuel lobe plate and ran both hoses just passed the transfer case. Did about 20 miles of driving and couple wot pulls. Still getting a lot of oil out the guess it's time to go to a catch can after all.

Then I noticed a fuel leak and atf leak under her. I think these things just have to leak something to run! Haha thanks for all the help

Motor has right at 4K mi on it. Most of them are pulling a trailer. Drivers side bed tailgate and the trailer just get covered in oil. Truck makes awesome power but the oil is redicoulous. Is this normal or should I just order the catch can finally. I would think the rings would be seated by now?

Keep driving the heck out of it, if it's just blow by. They will seat, but not if you're driving easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 72 I have Jesse's tappet cover and after some driving with high rpm's the breathers would push oil right out and make a mess. I got this breather/catch can and ran the 2 breather hoses to this catch can and have a drain at the bottom. It works great. I have no more oily mess. I still have to run the return to the fuel pump block off plate but for now I have just been draining it into an oil jug. I had the same problem with my Corvette and Kjpcummins built a sweet breather/catch can for it. The billet tappet cover with the baffle is the best way to go IMO when you're going to buy a new billet tappet cover. But if you already have one without you have to do what you have to do without breaking the bank IMO. :rockwoot:

Attachments

• Longhornbreather.jpg
    Longhornbreather.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Corvettebreather.jpg
    Corvettebreather.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back