First Poster, Seeking Cummins 6CTA8.3 Pointers

M925A2

Just bought an M925A2, which is a military 6x6 5 ton cargo truck. Has a Cummins 6CTA8.3 (mechanical with aftercooler) in it, Bosch MW type pump.

Seeking suggestions to increase acceleration (power). Truck has a 5 speed Allison auto that shifts at about 2000rpm's. Top speed is 67mph @ 2300rpm.

I have a basic understanding about turning the pump up in several different areas, but I don't understand the correlation between that and adding larger injectors. Also, what about delivery valves? I think I can use a 5.9L gsk kit in this governor..? Would like to upgrade the valve springs but don't know a source.

Also, what is the procedure to check and adjust the pump timing? The gear housig does not seem to have a removable panel where the injection pump resides. Heard 19-22 degrees is fabulous for these engines, but don't know how to do it. Also a source for head studs on this engine. Turbo upgrade recommendations?

Sorry for the shotgun questions. I'm a gasoline guy now in a diesel world. I know I will get told to search, and I will, but it does take hours, and sometimes posting/answering can actualky be quicker. Not always. Thanks in advance.

Welcome!
I'm not 100% sure but isn't this engine a front gear train engine? If so is there not a oil fill port or a plastic plug infront of the gear? If so that's the access for the pump nut. The easiest way to set the timing is with a dial indicator in the #1 DV bore. A source for valve springs would be Snedge on here

Ryan

Hi Ryan, thanks for the fast and polite response. Yes, this engine has a front gear drive train, much the same as a 5.9L, except the front cover has no access ports, the oil fill cap is on top of the one-piece rocker cover.

What better time to reseal the front cover then... What turbo is currently on that engine? Too many engines and etc to remember lol

Ryan

MW pumps are a ***** to work on. Completely different from a p or an A pump. That is, if your MW governor is anything like the MW on my mercedes

Back