Help! Vibration at 55-62 mph

Penni

Alright so, i have a vibration at 55 to 62 ish... randomly worse than better on occasion... sometimes it's so hard it'll shake a drink out of your hands and other times is just a faint constant vibration... and above 62 its always there just faint

Here is what i have done to date:
- Dropped front shaft and drove without it, vibration still there (sent off front shaft to be balanced & it checked out fine as well)
- swapped a full set of rims/tires, vibration still there
- new u joints on rear shaft, vibration still there

No leaks from t case either

Last year the truck had a full front end rebuild, upper/ lower balljoints, wheel bearings, track bar, tie rod ends... the front axle u joints did not get changed...

I'm at a loss on this thing, any help would be appreciated...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

First the basics are the tires balanced? I know you changed them. Shocks? Under 55 nothing? does it get worse when you hit a bump? Do you have to stop to make it stop?

Have you checked the balance of the rear drive shaft? Maybe a weight fell off.

How does the pinion feel in the rear end?

jack the truck up and put it on jack stands. Run it up to speed and see if it is driveline related. Is it death wobble (front end)? How is the steering dampener?

pull the rear driveshaft and drive it in 4x4 and see if it is gone. I have seen vibrations from pinion slop, u-joints, off-balance driveshafts, bent rims, out of round tires, out of balance tires and wheel bearings.

Original driveshafts.. both have been balanced... two completely different sets of rims and tires both balanced... it is not death wobble, steering dampner is new.... stock height no lift at all

First the basics are the tires balanced? I know you changed them. Shocks? Under 55 nothing? does it get worse when you hit a bump? Do you have to stop to make it stop?
Yes both sets balanced... new shocks all the way around, under 55 nothing, a bump changes nothing and no i just have to get below 55 again to make it stop

Both shafts balanced, pinion feels excellent

I just went through this on my 08 with the aluminum shaft. Balance means nothing. I had mine throw 3 of the 4 weights off the one end and it balanced with in spec. Still vibrated bad. I ended up knocking the last weight off and the vibration is gone. Inspect the shaft and see if the weights have fallen off. Also make sure the new joints move freely. A tight joint can cause a vibration as well

Last edited:
I just went through this on my 08 with the aluminum shaft. Balance means nothing. I had mine throw 3 of the 4 weights off the one end and it balanced with in spec. Still vibrated bad. I ended up knocking the last weight off and the vibration is gone. Inspect the shaft and see if the weights have fallen off. Also make sure the new joints move freely. A tight joint can cause a vibration as well
I will check the weights... good idea

Is it doing it running a steady 55mph or whatever the speed was, in 6th gear? What would it do if you ran it out the same speed and held it in 5th.

Is it doing it running a steady 55mph or whatever the speed was, in 6th gear? What would it do if you ran it out the same speed and held it in 5th.
I have not checked a different gear, I'll try this is the morning! Great idea sir!

Back