3rd gen Cab Swap/Rebuild

Red Sleeper

So I totaled out my tuck a few weeks ago and decided to buy it back from the insurance company. I'm wanting to simply swap on a good cab from a gasser truck being they are easiest to come by on craigslist. I have never swapped cabs on this new of a vehicle. Is it a fairly straight forward swap?

In my head I'm thinking HVAC stuff, steering column, brake petal rod, hood & e-brake cables, cut hole for 4wd shift, etc..

What about the cluster? I know I want to keep my diesel cluster but does it swap over/plug and play with the gasser dash and wiring? Speaking of, what about wiring? Am I going to have the proper wires inside the gasser for all the diesel stuff to function?

What am I missing?

Or should I find a diesel cab?

If I were doing that swap, I'd gut both cabs and use the bare cab off the 1/2 ton or gas truck and put all of the stuff out of your old cab in it, dash, headliner, carpet, seats and all.

But that's a lot more work than I wanted to do. I'm lazy at the moment.
I'm thinking I can just swap complete cab for complete cab. Minus the cluster. Don't know if it will plug & play.

I think all of the diesel wiring/gauges will be easier to swap over, if you find a diesel cab, thats my opinion.

I've removed the dash in my 06 more times than I care to remember. It's actually pretty easy, I'd say you would safer to remove the dash from the old cab and put it in the new one.

I agree the new trucks dashes come out so easy I'd swap rather then pulling your hair out trying to make things work.

So look for a diesel cab first and foremost. Then if not, swap over the dash. Got it.

All in all, the cab shell should be the same gas to diesel. Correct?

Only difference in the old trucks was the trans hump from auto to manual. I know on the second gens all cab shells appeared to be visually the same in the ones I've parted and scrapped. Not messed with any 3rd gens yet.

I would think the cab Shells would be the same. And from my understanding if you switch from 4WD to 2WD all the holes should be there, just a matter of removing plates and such.

Good info guys. Picking the truck up today form the body shop. Now to find a good donor truck.

It's going to be a long road.

The list. All new steering. Shaft, gear box, drag link, tie rod, shock. One rim. Front right fender, passenger doors, door panels, complete bed, complete cab, rear glass, carpet, pillar trim, mirror housing, straighten frame, get body mounts back in original location. Paint.

IMG_3653_zpsd0a9408d.jpg

IMG_3654_zps71c2a9f7.jpg

IMG_3656_zps3d2f3573.jpg

IMG_3657_zpsbbc0b075.jpg

Last edited:
I recabbed my 03 with a cab from a 1500 after I bopped my original cab with my gooseneck. I paid around $800 with back glass for a rust free cab.

It was a fair amount of effort, but I also rust proofed/painted the underside and sound deadened the inside while I did the swap.

Thanks buddy.

Couple years and many other projects later, this one finally wondered back into the shop.

Had some minor body damage to repair on the donor truck.
IMG_2364_zpsqveeiwqv.jpg

Weather stripping and gaskets removed.
IMG_2365_zpswqcm0ulu.jpg

IMG_2366_zpskk7slqu6.jpg

Starting to remove items from engine side of firewall.
IMG_2368_zpskf71ji8k.jpg

Update. Pulled the donor truck out of the shop and parked the wrecked truck in there. (the 05 CR) Figuring out what I need to remove in order to remove the cab. Figure if I mess something up, do so on the scrap cab.

P1020457_zpsaf0xtfya.jpg

Decided it was easiest to slice the lower front cross member in half to remove it. Going to form a piece of metal to make a c-channel that will fit over the cut. Bolt the two halves together during assembly.
P1020464_zpsu3gwnumo.jpg

My factory trans cooler was leaking around the thermostat when I purchased the truck. I quickly removed, removed the thermostat, and welded in a plug. Sure made a mess when it leaked on the radiator.
P1020466_zpsrwmiqwng.jpg

Some under dash wiring hell. The worst part about this project is having to figure out all how all the different electrical connectors work for removal.
P1020471_zpsbczbnwcy.jpg

Buying a small chain fall and second trolley tomorrow to for aid in removing the cab. Need to call Safelite and have the windshields swapped from bad cab to good cab.

FYI, the APPS has two plastic clips that attached to the top side of the massive cast aluminum fixture under the dash. Pain to remove.

Last edited:
Well, both. I will swap the windshield tag, front passenger side body tag, and reuse the driver side door. So the vin numbers match. Taking pictures of all the work for proof.

And also re-title as a rebuilt vehicle. I also do not plan on selling this truck any time soon.

Back