View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
rightwinger

Name: rightwinger
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
50K miles on running on WMO...

OK, so I just pulled the engine apart this past weekend, not because it had failed me, but because I had already put another engine in the truck and had this used engine that I was ready to tear into and rebuild. This engine had 273K miles on it when I pulled it, but 50K of those miles were on a mix of D2 and various amounts of WMO. The filtering methods were pretty crude at first, and eventually resulted in total injector failure. Injectors were replaced and I invested in large centrifuge. So when I took the head off of this 5.9 Cummins I was pretty grossed out by the amount of hardened crusted up crap that was on the top portion of the cylinder, the head, and the pistons. It was almost enough to make me scared to ever run WMO again....but then I had to tell myself that most of that damage occurred when running oil that had been filtered through an oil filter, and never been dewatered. Currently I am running my oil at 1 gph through a centrifuge, and then mixing it 50/50 with D2. Once mixed in the transfer tank, I have a smaller centrifuge that continuously runs 24/7.......I'm just hoping that this new engine doesn't look as bad as the old one did. Some of that crap had to be chiseled off the head it was so crusted on. Anyone ever pulled their head off and looked at how things look after running WMO with a really good filtering process?
2002 Dodge Ram 4X4, 6 speed, Southbend clutch, balanced rotating assembly,maxed out 215 p pump (550 cc's), 025 DV's, DAP 6X.013,Hamilton 103lb springs & HD pushrods, Waterman Sprint 400 lift pump,S362/S475 compounds, head studs , 4 inch exhaust