Persisting Hard Cold Start, Hazing and High Blow By

Noticeable oil loss after towing. Retorque your head. Piers Harry advised me to do this and it cured my problem. I'll bet a lot of people don't know who Piers Harry is. Boost goes up, lifts head enough to pressurize crankcase and kicks out the oil.

he used to own pdr diesel. very helpful.
hard cold start seems like **** batterys or a large draw on them when trying to start. also would change ofv

No where have I seen anyone ask what is your fuel pressure? The OFV does double duty, it maintains pressure and is also a check valve when the engine isn't running that keeps the return fuel line from siphoning the IP dry. Have you ever had an oil analysis done? Nearly every high blow by thread has a BHAF installed. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out your oil is full of dirt. Dirt is like sandpaper in the engine.

I don't think it's air in fuel system. It don't crank that long to start.

I call bull**** on your claim on BHAF. Stock panel air filter and BHAF both have same filtration efficiency. I tried to stick with stock air cleaner but I moved to BHAF cuz stock air cleaner couldn't flow enough air.

Donaldson P536429 AIR FILTER, PANEL ENGINE Engine & Hydraulic

Donaldson B105006 AIR FILTER, PRIMARY DURALITE Engine & Hydraulic

My fuel pressure gauge died a good while ago. I'll rig up a temporary pressure gauge for testing to confirm pressure is ok.

Noticeable oil loss after towing. Retorque your head. Piers Harry advised me to do this and it cured my problem. I'll bet a lot of people don't know who Piers Harry is. Boost goes up, lifts head enough to pressurize crankcase and kicks out the oil.

I already re-torqued my stock head bolts.

Thank you guys for suggestions! My first few things to do will be to check/fix starting system to crank faster, check fuel pressure and fix it if it's out of spec but I doubt it, check/adjust valve lash (just in case). I will try get a fuel can with diesel to place the fuel can on top of cab to 'flood' fed the fuel system for testing purpose if it still have hard cold start after sitting. For the blow by, my best guess to check the turbo somehow, probably put a piece of hose from its drain into a bucket to see if there's air in oil?

I don't think it's air in fuel system. It don't crank that long to start.

I call bull**** on your claim on BHAF. Stock panel air filter and BHAF both have same filtration efficiency. I tried to stick with stock air cleaner but I moved to BHAF cuz stock air cleaner couldn't flow enough air.

I didn't say air, I said it sounds like a faulty OFV. What is your fuel pressure?

It was just an observation that blowby complaints almost always have a BHAF in the signature. I see it all the time, and the cause is normally a poor installation of the filter. You can call BS but the proof is in an oil analysis. Ever had one done?

I didn't say air, I said it sounds like a faulty OFV. What is your fuel pressure?

It was just an observation that blowby complaints almost always have a BHAF in the signature. I see it all the time, and the cause is normally a poor installation of the filter. You can call BS but the proof is in an oil analysis. Ever had one done?

True. I don't send in my oil for analysis.

I have a custom draw straw in my tank, and when the fuel level gets too low it will do that on start up. I think it causes it to lose prime, so yours could very well just be a fuel issue.

Check your idle also, when I did my delivery valves I had to bump the idle screw up some to get it to start. It was starting like yours. It does sound like you have a blow by issue which could lead starting issues due to low compression. But it would be worth a try.

I just had my truck dyno'd for the first time today.
401.7 Max HP @ 2,210 RPM

960.7 ft•lbs Max Torque @ 2150 RPM

Video coming.

My starter was diagnosed bad this morning. Its pulling high amp. I'll put a new one in and hopefully that'll fix its slow cranking speed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
If that's a stock hx35 that truck runs good, be hard to think it's a piston or ring problem on the blow by running like that, but these motors are so tough it wouldn't surprise me.

Good Deal....Now about the Blowby.......

My best guess beside bad head gasket or cylinder(s) is the turbo pushing air into oil drain. I'm not sure how to test that. I'm still running the stock (possibly original at 300k miles) hx35 turbo.

My best guess beside bad head gasket or cylinder(s) is the turbo pushing air into oil drain. I'm not sure how to test that. I'm still running the stock (possibly original at 300k miles) hx35 turbo.

Remove the turbo and plug the oil supply hose to eliminate the charger.

Back