47re keeps blowing cooler supply line

thatguy69

So this will be the 2nd time I have blown the cooler supply line hose out of the fitting and hopefully the last time. The first time I was 1/2 mile from home so no big deal, this time I was 120 miles from home with a trailer. I'm using -8 stainless braided hose with summit fittings and it keeps pushing the hose out of the compression fitting. I even double checked this hose before we left and it was tight. I think part of my problem is I'm running 2 Coolers in series which may be causing excess pressure, but I would think these compression fittings should be able to handle that regardless. So is my issue the summit brand an fittings, having my Coolers in series, or the stainless braided line altogether?

I'd be suspicious of how your installing the ends on the braided line. You say compression fitting, are they the traditional 2pc AN fittings your using?

Yes regular 2 peices an fittings. There's 6 other fittings on the truck that I haven't had 1 issue with, this one I can't keep together

Yes regular 2 peices an fittings. There's 6 other fittings on the truck that I haven't had 1 issue with, this one I can't keep together

I would lean toward it being that fitting then. Do you have enough line length to shorten it the amount that is in the fitting? If you do, I would shorten the line that 1”-1.5”, put a new fitting on it, and your problem will probably disappear. If you try a new fitting without shortening the line the problem could continue, because when the fitting/line slip apart it’s rough on the line, and tends to take some material off and the new fitting might not be able to “bite” into that line very well.

Yeah I have some slack, I cut the line back the first time and also used a new summit fitting. I'll try cutting it back again and this time I ordered a Russell brand fitting. Guess I'll try that.

If you remove the line, put the fitting in a vice. Hold pressure on the line as you tighten the collar to keep the line from just pushing back out of the fitting when you tighten the collar. It should get pretty tight to turn the last couple of turns of the collar.

You either have sub-par hardware or incorrect assembly.

As jasonc said, I have seen the hose be pushed off the stud as the collar is tightened. An extra hand from a friend can be helpful.

Jasonc mentioned a good point on the line wanting to push back out on assembly.
I like to slip the collar on and mark the line with a Sharpie before assembly to make sure the line doesn’t get pushed back out of the collar on assembly.

Electrical tape. If you mean while you are cutting it to length. I personally quit using the SS a long time ago. Rubs through stuff and hurts like hell when you catch a wire.

Last edited:
I was using the black braided hose. I want to say it is a nylon braid. Anyways, it has done well for me. I now use push lock anywhere I can. It's just so much easier to deal with and hasn't let me down yet.

For fittings I have been using Redhorse. Seems to be high quality and not too expensive.

I was using the black braided hose. I want to say it is a nylon braid. Anyways, it has done well for me. I now use push lock anywhere I can. It's just so much easier to deal with and hasn't let me down yet.

For fittings I have been using Redhorse. Seems to be high quality and not too expensive.

OK thanks. Big reason I didn't go push lock to begin with was I had a hard time finding hose rated for over 190f

Back