2008 68RFE VB options

Talked to Ernie today at Suncoast about p0871 issue I'm having and he's thinking my valve body is leaking. Keep in mind though this valve body has been running over 200psi for 8+ years and is a pre 2010 body.

On that note, If you don't know who Ernie is.... He's the God father of the 68rfe, and the main reason they have a reasonable chance at holding power and is the original brains to all the stuff you see out that rips off Suncoast designs(cough *revmax* cough), and yet still the com jobs can't shake a stick at what his builds will hold.

Suncoast actually is in the works for some new valve body trick stuff including the sealing gaskets, resigned plates, and few other.

If anyone would have an answer he's the man to ask.

Last edited:
I honestly can't believe the 68rfe has been out for over 10 years now and there's not a reliable solution for 1,000 hp.

I honestly can't believe the 68rfe has been out for over 10 years now and there's not a reliable solution for 1,000 hp.

The joys of taking a case designed for light duty trucks and mini vans, throwing an extra gear in it and calling it a 6 speed diesel transmission.

With the way they designed it, both 5th and 6th are essemtially slaves to 4th at all times.

I will say this about the Suncoast builds that are done today. Not a single 1 is warrantied past a year, BUT.... it helps to have a damn good builder like Greg at Mace-o-Matic in Belton, Tx. I've had more issues related to stupid $hit like trans temp sensor which was again from a failed 8yr+ old valve body, the this valve body leak. Went through my CVIs with Ernie and he's happy with where my overdrive gears are at especially with the application it's in being size and weight! It was funny as hell when I told him it was holding around 80lbs of boost and 22.5 tires wore before the trans did.

I'm hard on the trans and there's no questioning it, especially being I'm someone who grenaded a brand new 8 sp torqueflight in an AWD Durango RT in less than 25k miles.

The joys of taking a case designed for light duty trucks and mini vans, throwing an extra gear in it and calling it a 6 speed diesel transmission.

You mean like taking a 3spd gasser transmission (A727), adding a 4th gear (OD), TC lock up, and changing clutch count/shaft size?
:hehe:

You mean like taking a 3spd gasser transmission (A727), adding a 4th gear (OD), TC lock up, and changing clutch count/shaft size?
:hehe:

Which shaft size did they change? I know they shortened the shaft for adding the OD section.

Cummins warned Chrysler about the transmission being able to handle the torque, Chrysler laughed as the were bragging their transmission held up to 440's and 426 Hemi's. They should have heeded Cummins's warning. In the mid to late 90's. The transmission warranty costs for automatics in diesels was basically the price of what it cost Chrysler to build the automatic LOL.

What was funny was they used the same case machining line from the late 60's all the way up until the 48RE to make the cases. Most of the other equipment was used from the late 60's up until the introduction of the 47RE.

Last edited:
Got my gaskets from Suncoast Ernie sent me.

20180803_130235.jpg

Which shaft size did they change? I know they shortened the shaft for adding the OD section.

Cummins warned Chrysler about the transmission being able to handle the torque, Chrysler laughed as the were bragging their transmission held up to 440's and 426 Hemi's. They should have heeded Cummins's warning. In the mid to late 90's. The transmission warranty costs for automatics in diesels was basically the price of what it cost Chrysler to build the automatic LOL.

What was funny was they used the same case machining line from the late 60's all the way up until the 48RE to make the cases. Most of the other equipment was used from the late 60's up until the introduction of the 47RE.

The input shaft is way thicker if I'm remembering correctly.
That doesn't surprise me. The high pressure die cast cases were always pretty decent.

I wonder if we would have ever got the 68rfe if the 46rh came out with the knowledge we have today. Clutch stacking, triple disc TC's, higher line pressure, 300M shafts, etc...

The input shaft is way thicker if I'm remembering correctly.
That doesn't surprise me. The high pressure die cast cases were always pretty decent.

I wonder if we would have ever got the 68rfe if the 46rh came out with the knowledge we have today. Clutch stacking, triple disc TC's, higher line pressure, 300M shafts, etc...
One would have to think so... The entire automotive industry is primarily centered around fuel economy at the end of the day to meet standards. Easier to stay in a desired RPM range for operating efficiency with six gears versus four. Same thing happened to manual transmissions.

Realistically, the industry is predicated upon cost versus performance and necessary efficiency required.

I guess in ones heart of hearts, if you attempted to do so, imagine the efficiency gained by swapping an auto or manual from a ‘18 in to an ‘89 first gen.

If I was just buying a VB to bolt in and be done I would buy a RevMax from what I've seen and add the metal filter screw.

Revmax has done some impressive things with their 2wd drag truck running a 68RFE.

I wish FirePunk offered 68VB's as I already have their EFI & TCM tuning and love all of it.

Back