View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #17
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
Control each bag individually. What works on a class 8 truck isn't the same as whats going to work on a lifted pickup. Namely the fact that most class 8 trucks are pulling a trailer, so the weight is always in the center on the kingpin. The load is going to be pretty equal between the bags. They are also a two-link design, which is great for simplicity, but their articulation sucks. And because their articulation sucks, you don't have to worry about leaning as much.

Go with either mechanical valves like Hendrickson valves or get a management system. You're gonna go crazy trying to keep it level if you plan to fill the bags manually. Also, 2.5 gallon tank is definitely on the small side for that setup. I'd suggest sizing it so you can go from fully dumped to ride height at your planned weight without needing the compressor. Depending on the bag, that might only be 60 psi, or it might be 90. I've got twin 3 gallon tanks and a single compressor, and it kicks the compressor on going from full dump to ride height with just a RZR in the back. I'll be looking into going to about 15 gallon capacity in the future with an engine driven compressor.

Wtf are you talking about? With a leveling valve it doesn't matter if your pulling a bumper pull trailer or the bed is full, the valve will fill the bags until the frame is at the pre-set height. Your "the weight is always in the center on the kingpin" doesn't apply to straight trucks (log trucks, vac trucks, stone slingers ect) and they use the same setup. I had this exact setup on my Dodge for years. Had a 12v compressor with a tank in place of the spare tire. Tank had a pressure switch that controlled the compressor. On class 8 stuff that is always heavy on one side they will put a leveling valve on each side but it is rare because simple is always better.

The reason pickup guys don't like it is because they LOVE to tinker. They don't like the fact they can load whatever they want and never touch anything and the truck rides level. They like to push buttons and read gauges. If you want the ability to dump the bags most leveling valves have a dump option. Simply send air to one port from a switch and it will dump.

A lot of Kelderman kits use them, guess you should call and let them know it doesn't work.

For the OP this is what I'm talking about. Valve goes on the frame, rod goes to axle. Load the bed and the valve adds air until it's level.
Click the image to open in full size.