Dual disk clutch does not shift slower than a single.

I took my truck to the track for the first time this weekend. I have the sbc 3250 12cb and it just doent shift very fast at all. Im kind of gathering from this article that the nv5600 shifts alot faster than the 4500 with a dd clutch.
I was launching in 3rd gear and tried a couple runs rolling right into 5th but it seems it took about 3seconds to get it into gear. i think those runs were about 15.5 eta at 94mph. then i launched in 3rd and topped out in 4th and ran 13.9 eta at 90 mph. I dont know what it is but my truck is a sob to shift fast. now for towing the boat and camper its not a big deal. just my 2 Cents

who's running above stock torque management?

If you are, put it on stock. report how much faster the rpm return to idle is. I've recently went back from mild to stock, I've been noticing a slight hang with the options I've been toying with. Yesterday I've managed to grab a 5th to 6th shift and not bog the motor. 2 things in play here, it went into 6th easier and the TM didn't flog the crap outa the motor.

Ive noticed that with the rail pressure on the higher settings the throttle will hang causing a slower shift. TM hasn't affected mine.

who's running above stock torque management?

If you are, put it on stock

I may give that a try.

I notice with the A/C on, it's a little harder to get in gear and slower to shift as well...

--Eric

Well, I broke my NV5600.... 15,000 miles give or take a few. Brand new reman. Done by Zumbrota. From what I hear, and from talking with them on the phone, they do have a clue about these things.

They tell me my 6th gear synco is, burnt up :) I'll have pics soon. Why would this be? why did it take 15,000 miles on this new trans that ONLY had a DD clutch, vs my old trans that had a DD in it for just a few thousand miles. and single in it for well over100,000 miles. (stock to 45K, then ConFE)

I'm rather sure my shifting style didn't change. Ever since I got the truck, even bone stock, I've been "speed shifting".

My only thought on this is the fact that the extra disk is in fact making that synco work harder.

could we do with 11" disks, and just more plate load? Why stick with 13's? I didn't do any surface area math of a 13" vs 2 11"'s but I gota thing it's more then a 13". And if you couple that with a higher plate load with smaller pucks.

Peter @ SBC or Valair? Can you tell me why I'm dead wrong on this for a drag race application?

Well, I broke my NV5600.... 15,000 miles give or take a few. Brand new reman. Done by Zumbrota. From what I hear, and from talking with them on the phone, they do have a clue about these things.

They tell me my 6th gear synco is, burnt up :) I'll have pics soon. Why would this be? why did it take 15,000 miles on this new trans that ONLY had a DD clutch, vs my old trans that had a DD in it for just a few thousand miles. and single in it for well over100,000 miles. (stock to 45K, then ConFE)

I'm rather sure my shifting style didn't change. Ever since I got the truck, even bone stock, I've been "speed shifting".

My only thought on this is the fact that the extra disk is in fact making that synco work harder.

could we do with 11" disks, and just more plate load? Why stick with 13's? I didn't do any surface area math of a 13" vs 2 11"'s but I gota thing it's more then a 13". And if you couple that with a higher plate load with smaller pucks.

Peter @ SBC or Valair? Can you tell me why I'm dead wrong on this for a drag race application?

what kind of oil ya runnin and how much ya puttin in? dont know if this is related or not but i have heard of people overfillin the 5600 to get the 6th gear more lube. i put my DD in like 4-5 months ago and i used synthetic and put one more bottle in. think it called for 5 and i put 6 in? been workin good so far.

There's a finite amount of annular space for the clutch material - diameter reductions of the scale you suggest would seriously eliminate the amount of friction real estate.

I agree that heavier clutches - such as DD - should generally increase synchro wear.. but why 6th? Seems 3rd or 4th would have the highest cycle life.

There's a finite amount of annular space for the clutch material - diameter reductions of the scale you suggest would seriously eliminate the amount of friction real estate.

I agree that heavier clutches - such as DD - should generally increase synchro wear.. but why 6th? Seems 3rd or 4th would have the highest cycle life.

And a bigger ratio of gear speed to slow down to..

I remember we said something about F1 clutches in this thread I think. Here is a pic of an F1 rotating assembly with the clutch on it.

Remember that is a 3.0L V10.

10141d1208761296t-formula-1-engine-pics-bmw_e41-4_crank_drive_crazy.jpg

Back