Second Gear Starts

Gotwakex80

Anyone out there with an fmvb 48re that starts in second then grabs third? Just trying to figure out if it would be to hard on the bands/clutches...

Anyone out there with an fmvb 48re that starts in second then grabs third? Just trying to figure out if it would be to hard on the bands/clutches...

Tyler, you’ll be fine. I start in 2nd and it’s held just fine. My transmission builder said it was fine also. I’ve found it actually helps the truck not pull through the brakes as easily while getting the turbo up to boost as well.

Jared

Tyler, you’ll be fine. I start in 2nd and it’s held just fine. My transmission builder said it was fine also. I’ve found it actually helps the truck not pull through the brakes as easily while getting the turbo up to boost as well.

Jared

Perfect, that's what I was wondering about, spool up isn't the problem with the 3k stall. With 5 hooks left I just didn't want to end up smoking the bands/clutches in second. Think ill give it try in Madera this Friday!

I was under the impression that the main (only?) time the sprag is used is in 1st gear when not manually selected.

If you put a switch on OD you can leave in first with the OD unit engaged, iirc this gives you a gear ratio just lower than 2nd gear, when you manually grab 2nd with OD still on you're essentially 1:1

I start in 3rd every time have now for 2 seasons . Trans looks like new after. 30 passes . 3.0 smooth bore 4.88s and 35s. 2800 rpm 12 blade high stall goerend converter and fmvb

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I start in 2nd with my 47re and 3k stall. About 15 hooks on it now with no issues yet. I have way less power then most of you though.

Ended up starting in third gear this past Friday, it ended up working out better than i expected. Carried 4,300 - 4,500 rpms down the entire track. Left the line at about 3K rpms, Locked the converter about 50ft off the line. I think I could of left the line with a few more rpms. Thank you all for the advise

I thought 2nd gear starts is what takes out the sprag clutch, causing major damage.

Nope. Starting in first gear which the selector in drive is hard on the sprague. If you’re in manual 1st then the rear band applies to take load off the sprague.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back